Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wildcards NOT
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wildcards NOT Post 302146375 by C3000 on Tuesday 20th of November 2007 07:59:53 AM
Old 11-20-2007
wildcards NOT

Hi All

Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines.

tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst files>

Can anyone help.

Thanks
Ed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ln -s accept wildcards?

Does ln -s accept wildcards? It doesn't seem like it is working when I use wildcards. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop with wildcards

Hi, I've got a ksh for loop with wildcards specified, and I want the wildcards to be preserved when inside the loop. Instead, it is expanding the wilcards and identifying filenames in the current directory #!/usr/bin/ksh list="a* b*" for i in ${list} do echo 'Loop value =' ${i} done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies
DLB(6)								   Games Manual 							    DLB(6)

NAME
dlb - NetHack data librarian SYNOPSIS
dlb { xct } [ vfIC ] arguments... [ files... ] DESCRIPTION
Dlb is a file archiving tool in the spirit (and tradition) of tar for NetHack version 3.1 and higher. It is used to maintain the archive files from which NetHack reads special level files and other read-only information. Note that like tar the command and option specifiers are specified as a continuous string and are followed by any arguments required in the same order as the option specifiers. This facility is optional and may be excluded during NetHack configuration. COMMANDS
The x command causes dlb to extract the contents of the archive into the current directory. The c command causes dlb to create a new archive from files in the current directory. The t command lists the files in the archive. OPTIONS AND ARGUMENTS
v verbose output f archive specify the archive. Default if f not specified is LIBFILE (usually the nhdat file in the playground). I lfile specify the file containing the list of files to put in to or extract from the archive if no files are listed on the command line. Default for archive creation if no files are listed is LIBLISTFILE. C dir change directory. Changes directory before trying to read any files (including the archive and the lfile). EXAMPLES
Create the default archive from the default file list: dlb c List the contents of the archive 'foo': dlb tf foo AUTHOR
Kenneth Lorber SEE ALSO
nethack(6), tar(1) BUGS
Not a good tar emulation; - does not mean stdin or stdout. Should include an optional compression facility. Not all read-only files for NetHack can be read out of an archive; examining the source is the only way to know which files can be. 4th Berkeley Distribution 28 Oct 1993 DLB(6)