Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find charecter from its ascii value. Post 302146300 by eggi on Tuesday 20th of November 2007 12:52:55 AM
Old 11-20-2007
You can use perl's pack function to do that

$hex_ascii=%20;
print "HEX $hex_ascii\n";
$hex_ascii =~ s/%(..)/pack("c",hex($1))/ge;
print "Alpha $hex_ascii\n";

Code above may not suit exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully points in the right direction Smilie

, Mike

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut First charecter in any string

I wannt to cut first char of any string. str=A2465443 out put will be. str1=A str2=2465443. I tried str2=${?%srt} str1=${str#$str2} it is not working. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comapring files charecter by charecter using AWK/Shell Script

Hi... I have a requrement to compare two files. for e.g. File 1 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-032 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-045 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 2007/08/19 09:48:10 DH-043 $APTA1: Device AATD8029 File 2 2007-08-19 09:48:10 DH-032... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evvander
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

charecter or number

Hi Friends, How to check a variable value is either charecter or number? With Regards / Ganapati (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganapati
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode?

Hi Gurus, I need to find out, if i have transferred a file from ftp thro bin mode or ascii mode. Say if i have a file called "dec.sh"( u shuld normally transfer thro ascii mode). How can i find out that dec.sh is tranferred from ftp server thro ascii mode or bin mode? Any help would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete last charecter of each line.

Hi, I have file which is having the following content. 11082202^M 10951265^M 11482003^M 12820986^M 11309561^M 11092815^M 11103308^M 13024722^M 11343958^M 11280355^M 7516723^M i want to delete the last charecter "^M" from all the line and redirect to other line. Please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivanete
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

to delete charecter in a line

Hi, Using perl, how can I delete a charecter (specify the position number), in a line which starts with "GETR P" and another line starting with "GET P:=". This needs tro be done for many charecters in a line Thanks Vijayalakshmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abc_81
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple question about charecter count

Hi, I have collection of letters in a column such as: AA5678 AA9873434 .. .. I am trying to find the number of charecters in each. "echo "AA5678"|wc -c 7----------------> why does it give 7 instead of 6? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvosu
6 Replies
SHOWKEY(1)						      General Commands Manual							SHOWKEY(1)

NAME
showkey - examine the codes sent by the keyboard SYNOPSIS
showkey [-h|--help] [-a|--ascii] [-s|--scancodes] [-k|--keycodes] [-V|--version] DESCRIPTION
showkey prints to standard output either the scan codes or the keycode or the `ascii' code of each key pressed. In the first two modes the program runs until 10 seconds have elapsed since the last key press or release event, or until it receives a suitable signal, like SIGTERM, from another process. In `ascii' mode the program terminates when the user types ^D. When in scancode dump mode, showkey prints in hexadecimal format each byte received from the keyboard to the standard output. A new line is printed when an interval of about 0.1 seconds occurs between the bytes received, or when the internal receive buffer fills up. This can be used to determine roughly, what byte sequences the keyboard sends at once on a given key press. The scan code dumping mode is primarily intended for debugging the keyboard driver or other low level interfaces. As such it shouldn't be of much interest to the regular end-user. However, some modern keyboards have keys or buttons that produce scancodes to which the kernel does not associate a keycode, and, after finding out what these are, the user can assign keycodes with setkeycodes(8). When in the default keycode dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the keycode number or each key pressed or released. The kind of the event, press or release, is also reported. Keycodes are numbers assigned by the kernel to each individual physical key. Every key has always only one associated keycode number, whether the keyboard sends single or multiple scan codes when pressing it. Using showkey in this mode, you can find out what numbers to use in your personalized keymap files. When in `ascii' dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the decimal, octal, and hexadecimal value(s) of the key pressed, according to he present keymap. OPTIONS
-h --help showkey prints to the standard error output its version number, a compile option and a short usage message, then exits. -s --scancodes Starts showkey in scan code dump mode. -k --keycodes Starts showkey in keycode dump mode. This is the default, when no command line options are present. -a --ascii Starts showkey in `ascii' dump mode. -V --version showkey prints version number and exits. 2.6 KERNELS In 2.6 kernels key codes lie in the range 1-255, instead of 1-127. Key codes larger than 127 are returned as three bytes of which the low order 7 bits are: zero, bits 13-7, and bits 6-0 of the key code. The high order bits are: 0/1 for make/break, 1, 1. In 2.6 kernels raw mode, or scancode mode, is not very raw at all. Scan codes are first translated to key codes, and when scancodes are desired, the key codes are translated back. Various transformations are involved, and there is no guarantee at all that the final result corresponds to what the keyboard hardware did send. So, if you want to know the scan codes sent by various keys it is better to boot a 2.4 kernel. Since 2.6.9 there also is the boot option atkbd.softraw=0 that tells the 2.6 kernel to return the actual scan codes. SEE ALSO
loadkeys(1), dumpkeys(1), keymaps(5), setkeycodes(8) 1 Feb 1998 SHOWKEY(1)