Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problems with disabling remote root login Post 302146211 by porter on Monday 19th of November 2007 11:02:30 AM
Old 11-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by veccinho
- after installation of openSSH i edited sshd_config - uncommented line: PermitRootLogin yes
Don't you want to change that to "no"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Disabling root login

Hy, Coud someone tell me how to disable root login via terminal (only from console should be allowed). There is no ssh installed, only telnet. I created a user which will have permission to su to root, but now i don't know where and what to modify to disable root login? SCO OpenServer 5 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Remote ssh login as root

I edited my /etc/default/login file and commented the line: # If CONSOLE is set, root can only login on that device. # Comment this line out to allow remote login by root. # #CONSOLE=/dev/console I still cant login thru telnet or ssh. What else do i have to do to be able to login... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
14 Replies

3. AIX

disabling telnet login for root only

Hi, I want to disable telnet login for root only so that other users can telnet? Regards, Manoj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
8 Replies

4. SCO

how to disabling root user

dear all, pls give the sollution to disable root login from telnet directly.but it should allow while we type su command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakrithi
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Deny root remote login help

I'm attempting to deny a user's ability to login as root through any remote means - ie telnet or ssh. I've read most of the threads that I can find on this site and I've looked at BigAdmin on Sun's site. I have done what has been suggested here and on BigAdmin which is to make sure that the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/ftpd/ftpusers & philosophy of disabling root

we don't have root in our /etc/ftpd/ftpusers and we are getting some pushback from the external auditors about this - specifically as a security risk if a "sniffer" were to catch roots password at the ftp. What do most shops do - disable ftp for root? What do you do to get things to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non root login problems in AIX

Hi All, I have setup a non root user on AIX 5.3, using smit. When I try logging on as that user my login screen just disappears. I am using PUTTY. I login to the same box as root no problems. I have tried re-creating several different usernames but get the same effect I have also telneted from a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansul
2 Replies

8. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Disable direct root login problems

I have disabled rlogin for root successfully , but after that i could not login to root from console and could not su to root from other users as it responded as expired account I did not have any admin user but I have managed to recover the situation by accessing rootvg before mounting it, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majd_ece
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disabling CBC Cipher mode causes login problems

Hi, As part of the security hardening activity in our team, we have to disable CBC mode cipher encryption, and enable CTR or GCM cipher mode encryption. To do this, in sshd_config I comment out these lines : Ciphers aes128-cbc,blowfish-cbc,3des-cbc MACS hmac-sha1,hmac-md5 and add... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
9 Replies
XRLOGIN(1)						      General Commands Manual							XRLOGIN(1)

NAME
xrlogin - start an xterm that uses ssh (or optionally rlogin or telnet) to connect to a remote host SYNOPSIS
xrlogin [-l username] [-rlogin|-telnet] [xterm options] remote-host DESCRIPTION
Xrlogin opens an xterm window and runs ssh, rlogin or telnet to login to a remote host. Xrlogin automatically passes the -name argument to xterm with a value of "xterm-hostname" where hostname is the name of the remote host. This allows the user to specify resources in their server's resource manager which are specific to xterms from a given host. For example, this feature can be used to make all xterm windows to a given remote host be the same color or use a specific font or start up in a spe- cific place on the screen. Xrsh(1) passes the same string so they are compatible in this regard. Xrlogin specifies that the default title for the new xterm will be "hostname" where hostname is the name of the remote host. This and the -name argument above can be overridden with xterm-options on the command line. One could also use xrlogin's sister command xrsh(1) to open a window to a remote host. In the case of xrsh, the xterm would run on the remote host and use X as the connection protocol while xrlogin would run the xterm on the local host and use rlogin or telnet as the con- nection protocol. See xrsh(1) for a discussion of the merits of each scheme. OPTIONS
-l username When not using -telnet, use username as the id to login to the remote host. -rlogin Use the rlogin protocol to open the connection. In general rlogin is preferred because it can be configured to not prompt the user for a password. Rlogin also automatically propagates window size change signals (SIGWINCH) to the remote host so that applications running there will learn of a new window size. -telnet Use the -telnet protocol to open the connection. Use of telnet provided mostly for hosts that don't support rlogin. COMMON PROBLEMS
Make sure that the local host is specified in the .rhosts file on the remote host or in the remote hosts /etc/hosts.equiv file. See rlogin(1) for more information. EXAMPLES
xrlogin -bg red yoda Start a local red xterm which connects to the remote host yoda using rlogin. xrlogin -telnet c70 Open a local xterm which connects to the remote host c70 using telnet. SEE ALSO
xrsh(1), rlogin(1), telnet(1) AUTHOR
James J. Dempsey <jjd@jjd.com> and Stephen Gildea <gildea@intouchsys.com>. X Version 11 Release 6 XRLOGIN(1)