Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with script parsing a log file Post 302145867 by prowla on Thursday 15th of November 2007 03:15:32 PM
Old 11-15-2007
Glad you sorted it.
Regarding the ticks, they are back-quotes, and standard.
So any assignment should work, eg.
now=`date`
echo $now

and so-on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for parsing 300mb log file..

am relatively new to Shell scripting. I have written a script for parsing a big file. The logic is: Apart from lot of other useless stuffs, there are many occurances of <abc> and corresponding </abc> tags. (All of them are properly closed) My requirement is to find a particular tag (say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpreet470
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail log parsing script in need of makeover

Dear unix forum members, I'm working on a script that will parse a mail machine's logs and print a list of email addresses in this format: sender@domain,recipient@domain The logs look something like this: 06:50:04 0048317AC863: client=localhost.com 06:50:04 0048317AC863:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjamd64
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for parsing details in a log file to a seperate file

Hi Experts, Im a new bee for scripting, I would ned to do the following via linux shell scripting, I have an application which throws a log file, on each action of a particular work with the application, as sson as the action is done, the log file would vanish or stops updating there, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingnagan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to parsing log

Hi I Have log like this : 0 234: { 3 2: 04 EE 7 14: '20081114081' 23 1: 00 79 10: '38809' 91 15: '528111510010159' 143 29: 'Streaming/downloading service' 174 3: 'MTV' 179 43: 'rtsp://172.28/MTV2GO-Loop.sdp' 224 1: 05 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Parsing Log File

Working on a script that inputs an IP, parses and outputs to another file. A Sample of the log is as follows: I need the script to be able to input IP and print the data in an output file in the following format or something similar: Thanks for any help you can give me! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Winsarc
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log parsing script

Hello, I have a script that parses logs and sends the output via digitally signed and encrypted email. This script uses grep -v to exclude patterns in a file. The problem I have is if this is run via cron none of the pattern matching seems to occur. If I run it by hand it runs exactly as it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpfontenot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing vertical log into horizontal

Hi, I have log like this : And i want the output like below : I have try using awk but doesn't work awk ' /ffff /{ts=$1} f && /SectorAntenna\=1/{sa1=$3} f && /SectorAntenna\=2/{sa2=$3} f && /SectorAntenna\=3/{sa3=$3} { s= ts "|" sa1 "|" sa2 "|" sa3 print s f=0 }' (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Log File help

Hi, I am a newbie to scripting. I have multiple log files (saved as .gz) in a directory that looks like this 01-01-2013 10:00 pn: 123 01-01-2013 10:00 sn: 987 01-01-2013 10:00 Test1 01-01-2013 10:00 Result: Pass 01-01-2013 10:00 Time: 5:00 01-01-2013 10:00 Test2 01-01-2013 10:00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnew
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with awk script parsing log file

Hello All, I am trying to parse a log file and i got this code from one of the good forum colleagues, However i realised later there is a problem with this awk script, being naive to awk world wanted to see if you guys can help me out. AWK script: awk '$1 ~ "^WRITER_" {p=1;next}... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a log file and creating a report script

The log file is huge and lot of information, i would like to parse and make a report . below is the log file looks like: REPORT DATE: Mon Aug 10 04:16:17 CDT 2017 SYSTEN VER: v1.3.0.9 TERMINAL TYPE: prod SYSTEM: nb11cu51 UPTIME: 04:16AM up 182 days 57 mins min MODEL, TYPE, and SN:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
8 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)