Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Building a 43p using BOOTP
Operating Systems AIX Building a 43p using BOOTP Post 302145784 by johnf on Thursday 15th of November 2007 06:14:34 AM
Old 11-15-2007
The Linux server is setup as a DHCP server and the AIX machine is defined in the DHCPD.CONF file with correct MAC address and the designated IP address. So I am expecting the clinet to have its IP address allocated by the DHCP system on the Linux server. By what is written in the DHCP logs the request is being answered but the client is not adopting the address.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootp/tftp

Hi, Setting up print queue, using SMIT on AIX And I have an option saying do I wish to make this a BOOTP/TFTP server. What exactly does this do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP

Im trying to help my professor at school, were trying to setup a linux server, that is configured with bootp/tftp/PXE. the client computer NICs have support to boot off PXE. What we would like to do is if a client computer does not have an OS, it would boot off the server, and display a menu to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwalick
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save 43p bios?

Is there any way to backup the bios on a 43P-140 7043? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freestyle10269
0 Replies

4. Linux

BOOTP on HP Thin clients

Please m new around here! Can anyone take me thru implementing bootp on my thin clients via my central server? Preciate ur assistance. Thanks folks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuk_uka
2 Replies

5. AIX

43p 120

I have acquired a 43p 120 (7248-120) and I have two questions: Can anyone remember what is the highest version of AIX which I can install (5.1 I believe) and Can anyone remember how to boot this from the CDROM (boot floppy?) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnf
1 Replies

6. SCO

Need help in BOOTP Server and Client configuration

Dear All; I need help in configuring the BOOTP server, I have found something on internet forums regarding the file: bootptab and editing some lines but Im not if they are all correct. Also, I need help to configure my clients (UNIX) to boot up with this bootp server(UNIX). I will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amirzandi
1 Replies

7. AIX

model 43P 7248 Recovery!

HI all! this is my problem: my boss got a Model 43P 7248-100 PowerPC server with the AIX 4.2 os, but some days ago it crashed and now it doesn't want to boot up again, it stops after the initial diagnostic phase with the "PowerPC" screen! I must recover some important data from the hard disk, so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKO
6 Replies

8. AIX

brisque impose 43P 150 aix version 4 HELP!!!!!!!!

hi to everybody I have a problem with the AIX version 4: I can not get into failsafe session kindly someone knows how to enter this mode? thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elektrospeed
5 Replies

9. AIX

EXP400 with 43P machine not booting

Hello I connected the exp400 & turned on the aix machine which is 7043-150 but now I guess probably ODM is corrupted as it does not boot. Its stuck at 0518 code. Also, on the console it shows stuck on the kernel, which then it does not want to boot. Is it possible to fix from maintenance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdhawan
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Bootp/tftp issue neeeeeed help plz

i find a solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shady_2005
2 Replies
dhcping(8)						      General Commands Manual							dhcping(8)

NAME
dhcping - send a DHCP request to DHCP server to see if it's up and running SYNOPSIS
dhcping [-v] [-q] [-i] [-r] -t maxwait -c client-IP-address -s server-IP-address -h client-hardware-address [-g gateway-IP-address] DESCRIPTION
This command allows the system administrator to check if a remote DHCP server is still functioning. Options are: -v Verbose, print some information. -V Very verbose, print a lot of information. -i Use DHCPINFORM packets. -r Use DHCPREQUEST packets (default behaviour). -q Quiet, print nothing on the screen. -t maxwait Maximum time to wait for an answer from the server in seconds. Default is 3 seconds. -c client-IP-address Request this IP address. Note that this is also the IP address the answer will be sent to. -s server-IP-address Send the DHCP packet to this IP address. -h client-hardware-address Use this hardware-address in the DHCP request. It can be up to sixteen octets separated by colons (i.e. 01:02:03:04) -g gateway-IP-address Use this IP address for the gateway IP address in the DHCP packet. This option is currently broken. RETURN VALUES
If everything goes okay, it returns 0. If there went something wrong, it returns 1. SETUP
This program should be installed setuid root or ran by root only. See SECURITY for more information. On your DHCP server, add these lines to the dhcpd.conf: host <your monitoring host FQDN> { hardware ethernet <your monitor host mac address>; fixed-address <your monitoring host IP address>; } Then try it: $ dhcping -c your monitoring host IP address -s your DHCP server IP address -h your monitor host mac address It will either respond with "no answer" or "Got answer from: your DHCP server IP address" The DHCP server logfile will give: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPACK on 192.168.1.1 to 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPRELEASE of 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 (found) Running in DHCPINFORM mode with -i: If you see "DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.1 via xl0: not authoritative for subnet 192.168.1.0", you should add the authoritative statement to the subnet, See dhcpd.conf(5) for details. When running in very verbose mode, dhcping tries to dump all data of the send and received DHCP packets. It will first dump the packet in hex-format, then decodes the header and finally the options. HOW IT WORKS
The client either sends a DHCPREQUEST or DHCPINFORM packet to the server and waits for an answer. Then, if a DHCPREQUEST was send, it will send a DHCPRELEASE back to the server. SECURITY
This program is installed setuid root as it requires the privileges to bind itself to port 68 (bootpc). Root privileges are dropped as soon as the program has bound itself to that port. BUGS
Currently (this may, or may not, change in the future) the ISC DHCP daemon does not write leases with a fixed IP address in the dhcpd.leases file. DHCPINFORM packets can only be used on subnets the server is authoritative for. If the monitoring script runs on a subnet the server isn't authoritative for, it should use the DHCPREQUEST packets. I also experienced some problems with ISC DHCPD v2 servers, but that is also in the README of it. The -V option is still working, but shouldn't be used for debugging of the packets. Better use dhcpdump(8) for that, which is available on my website. I wanted to remove it, but decided only to do it from the documentation, not from the code. Maybe I'll need it one day for debugging. AUTHOR
Edwin Groothuis, edwin@mavetju.org (http://www.mavetju.org) SEE ALSO
dhcpd(8), dhclient(8), dhcpd.conf(5), dhcpdump(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 27, 2002 dhcping(8)