Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filesystem from scratch
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Filesystem from scratch Post 302145661 by porter on Thursday 15th of November 2007 12:52:01 AM
Old 11-15-2007
The three most important things for a file system are

(a) implementing the specificied file system data format in a robust manner so other implementations can read the same data.

(b) provide the correct interface to the operating system to access the file system

(c) everything between (a) and (b) is up to you!

The watch words should be "robustness" and then "performance", no point in having a high performance file system that trashes your disks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

An X Window System from scratch

I'm currently using Gnome as my desktop environment (DE) but it's going kind of slow. My friend gave me the advice to skip the DE and only use a Window Manager. I took his suggestion one step further and decided to try building an X window system from scrath instead. But what are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linux From Scratch

LFS (Linux From Scrath) it's tools for make own distribution. U know how create own distribution ?? thanks cYa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kezzol
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup a printer on Linux from scratch, everything to do

I am a beginner in Unix. I have redhat linux running in a dell work station. my question is how can I setup a printer using the command line so that I can use the command lp filename to print, how can I define the printer name? my printer is HP laserjet connected to network Edit/Delete Message (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Setup a printer on Linux from scratch

I am a beginner in Unix. I have redhat linux running in a dell work station. my question is how can I setup a printer using the command line so that I can use the command lp filename to print, how can I define the printer name? my printer is HP laserjet connected to network (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: docaia
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building from scratch - UNIX

Hi! Any knows if Unix (from IBM, Sun, HP, etc) is picky on hardwares? I mean, installing Unix (not Linux) on a custom build system? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genesisX
2 Replies

7. Programming

Terminal emulator from scratch.

I wanna write a terminal emulator program from scratch. I downloaded the sources of xterm but they are too complex... I did not found any documentation on the Internet, so I asking you where I have to start. I learnt only C, and I have the basics of GTK library. Thanks for any reply. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
22 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

9. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies
SSL_do_handshake(3)						      OpenSSL						       SSL_do_handshake(3)

NAME
SSL_do_handshake - perform a TLS/SSL handshake SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/ssl.h> int SSL_do_handshake(SSL *ssl); DESCRIPTION
SSL_do_handshake() will wait for a SSL/TLS handshake to take place. If the connection is in client mode, the handshake will be started. The handshake routines may have to be explicitly set in advance using either SSL_set_connect_state(3) or SSL_set_accept_state(3). NOTES
The behaviour of SSL_do_handshake() depends on the underlying BIO. If the underlying BIO is blocking, SSL_do_handshake() will only return once the handshake has been finished or an error occurred, except for SGC (Server Gated Cryptography). For SGC, SSL_do_handshake() may return with -1, but SSL_get_error() will yield SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ/WRITE and SSL_do_handshake() should be called again. If the underlying BIO is non-blocking, SSL_do_handshake() will also return when the underlying BIO could not satisfy the needs of SSL_do_handshake() to continue the handshake. In this case a call to SSL_get_error() with the return value of SSL_do_handshake() will yield SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ or SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE. The calling process then must repeat the call after taking appropriate action to satisfy the needs of SSL_do_handshake(). The action depends on the underlying BIO. When using a non-blocking socket, nothing is to be done, but select() can be used to check for the required condition. When using a buffering BIO, like a BIO pair, data must be written into or retrieved out of the BIO before being able to continue. RETURN VALUES
The following return values can occur: 1. The TLS/SSL handshake was successfully completed, a TLS/SSL connection has been established. 2. The TLS/SSL handshake was not successful but was shut down controlled and by the specifications of the TLS/SSL protocol. Call SSL_get_error() with the return value ret to find out the reason. 3. <0 The TLS/SSL handshake was not successful because a fatal error occurred either at the protocol level or a connection failure occurred. The shutdown was not clean. It can also occur of action is need to continue the operation for non-blocking BIOs. Call SSL_get_error() with the return value ret to find out the reason. SEE ALSO
SSL_get_error(3), SSL_connect(3), SSL_accept(3), ssl(3), bio(3), SSL_set_connect_state(3) POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 53: You have '=item 0' instead of the expected '=item 2' Around line 59: Expected '=item 3' 50 2013-03-05 SSL_do_handshake(3)