Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell script help for users
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script help for users Post 302145655 by porter on Thursday 15th of November 2007 12:35:57 AM
Old 11-15-2007
I suggest you post *exactly* what you have put in your scripts and use the [ CODE ] [ / CODE ] markers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell script - log for users loggin on and off

Hello all, I'm new to shell scripting and want to make a script that I can write to log the users logging on and off the a unix system. I have had a good look over the past few days to crack it, I think I am getting close. I want a script that runs an infinite loop to check every 5 seconds... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: noodlesoup
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script check the users in SHELL ?

could you please find a solution for this script that checks if any of a list of users given on the command line is logged in. For each user the script should say whether this user is logged in or not. The script prints an error message if no parameter is given. And ask the user to enter a name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anything
3 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

interactive shell script to create users 10.4

Hello everyone, Not sure if this is the right place, but OS X isn't your standard Unix, so I figured here would be best. I am looking at creating a script that will be interactive that admins can run to create users. Now, 10.4 uses netinfo database and netinfo manager to handle it's users. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find unowned users and groups

Hello, I am new to Unix and shell scripting. I am trying to find unowned files and groups on my servers. I know, i could use the below command to find it on individual server. #find / -nouser -o -nogroup -print But I was wondering, if someone could help with a shell script so that I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ut916
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script check the users in SHELL every 1 minute ?

could you please find a solution for this: I need to write a shell script which checks after every minute whether a friend has logged in or not.The script should report whether that person has logged in along with the amount of time the person was late in logging in. I have no idea how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blunderblitz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for monitoring users activities

hi I need a shell script which runs perpetually in background and monitors different aspects of different users on different files and their usages for example say there r 3 users so i want when they log in i.e. their log in time and their file access, modify and change log of each file of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - creating users

echo -e "Enter in a username : \c" read username grep "^$username:" /etc/passwdWhat I'm trying to do is take in a username from my script and I need to be able to check if that username already exists. If it does the script should display a message saying that the user already exists and exit. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Shell script to add users on solaris

Hi admins, I am trying to run a script to add users on solaris with password: I am using crypt for passwords: The part of my scripts is as below: if ; then echo "$username exists!" exit 1 else pass=$(perl -e 'print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

9. BSD

Creating an array out of users: shell script

I want to create a shell script for a menu selection consisting of users defined on the machine. To an administrator having the privileges, the selection menu will look as follows: Select the user you want to define the variables for: 1) my-username-1 2) my-username-2 etc Then there would be a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for creating multiple users with password

for UserName in `cat users` ; do useradd -d /u02 -s /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -G ftp-users $UserName ; PassWord=$( echo $( tr '' '' <<< ${UserName:0:1} )${UserName:1} ) ; echo "$PassWord@123" | passwd $UserName --stdin ; done can some one explain what the bold text do Please use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
5 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)