Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications vi or vim replace ,$ (eol) with just a comma Post 302145588 by prowla on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 05:18:45 PM
Old 11-14-2007
I know there's an example of something like it in the sed & awk book.
But this will work from the command line:
cat myfile | while read s
do
case "$s" in
*,) printf "%s" s;;
*) echo $s;;
esac
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace , (comma) with space

Hi, what is the better way to replace the , (comma) with a space char? Example:STRING=dir1,dir2,dir3 toSTRING=dir1 dir2 dir3 And.. how to find if in the string there is a comma? Thanks :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarberis
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace comma(,) with Tab

hi all, i have a file with commas(,). i want to replace all the commas with tab(\t). Plz help...its urgent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma with newline

Hi, for some reason I cant seem to figure this out. I have a file which looks something like this word word word word word,word,word word word word,word,word,word,word word word Basically I want this whole thing to be a list with 1 word on each line like this... word word word... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the | with Comma

Hi, The input file structure is given below: The Col1 and Col2 will be there always. But from Col3 there can be more columns. And Col3 will be always Col4 and Col5 will always be with Col6. I need to replace the | with comma. There are scnearios where there wont be no data.Below, the row 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline with comma.

I have output from a file like this: 15,01,11,14:06 235 I would like to change this to: 15,01,11,14:06,235 Removing newline and change to "," I now this can be done with tr cat OUT | tr '\n' ','' My problem is that tr is not implemented in this shell. sed is, show it should be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Regexp replace in vim/sed

Hi! I have a file with multiple lines following this format: <a href="xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy">xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy</a> The goal is to replace the title (not modifying the href) so the new lines looks like this: <a href="xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy">Aaa bbb ccc</a> The number of underscores in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericjohansson
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace two or more spaces with one comma?

I'm using sh on hp-ux. I've got a file that looks like this. -5.65 175 -16.17 160 -13.57 270 -51.72 260 -8.30 360 -42.71 460 -.38 375 -.20 375 -4.15 170 -21.53 560 -18.84 360 I'd like to replace all the whitespace between the columns with one comma. I can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma and blank with comma and number

I, I have a file and i need to replace comma and blank space with comma and 0. cat file.txt a,5 b,1 c, d, e,4 I need the output as cat file.txt a,5 b,1 c,0 d,0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with underscores up to first comma but not after the comma

I have a comma delimited file of major codes and descriptions. I want to replace all occurrences of spaces with underscores up to the first comma (only in the first field), but not replace spaces following the comma. For instance I have the following snippet of the file: EK ED,Elementary and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdouty
7 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)