Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep or Sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep or Sed Post 302145179 by jazz8146 on Tuesday 13th of November 2007 04:43:07 AM
Old 11-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2000
As you have seen, "grep" is a tool for identifying whole lines. You, however, need to identify words.

A cheap way to do this is to put each word on its own line before using grep:

Code:
tr ' '  '\n' somefile | grep '^[[:alpha:]]'

But then all your data ends up on individual lines. If you needed each line intact (minus the unwanted data of course) then your sed solution would be better.
I used this command and the result was blank. Here is the data i am using from a file.
13/11/07 $50 new shoes
Here is the command i have used
tr ' ' '\n' < a file | grep '^[[:alpha:]]' > temp
tr

Last edited by jazz8146; 11-13-2007 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Solved previous issue

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and it used with | and grep

I am really lost I don't know what this line does. Please help I'm very lost. Thanks in advance. cat CPROGRAMS.c |sed 's// /g'|tr ' ' '\012' |grep '' |sed 's/^*/ /' |grep '($'|sort -u|tr -d "("` (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep sed

OK, I am trying to become more familiar with grep and sed. I have a file that is storing some records. I am allowing a user to search for a keyword in the file with this: grep -i "$keyword" testFile|sed -n -e 's/^/\ /' -e 's/:/\ /gp' ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericelysia
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to grep

I have a file that contains many instances of double dollar signs. I want to use sed to get the first occurrence. for example, given the following data. #Beginning of file AB 34 $$ AB $$ AB 98 $$ I only want to pull out: AB 34 $$ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or grep?

hello everybody! I have a html file which is not properly formatted meaning that the whole content is in one line. I want to to cut out certain parts of that file. Those parts are between ' #" ' and ' " ' and always start with ' sec_ ' and after the ' sec_ ' any number of characters and ' _... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MastaFue
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with SED + GREP

HI all, i have a line in a file it contains Code: one;two_1_10;two_2_10;two_3_10;three~ now i need to get the output as Code: one;two_1_abc_10;two_2_abc_10;two_3_abc_10;three~ ( 1 should be replaced with 1_abc for two__abc_10 , and one more thing the number of occurances of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/tr/grep help

So I have a html file with a bunch of words inside tags and I need to extract just the words, and I'm not sure exactly what the best way to do this is. The format is as follows: <tr> <td>word 1</td> <td>word 2</td> </tr> And all I want to extract is the 'word 2'. First I tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flightskoo
3 Replies

7. Linux

sed and grep

I am stranded with a problem. Please solve. How will you remove blank lines from a file using sed and grep? ( blank line contains nothing or only white spaces). I run the below commands of sed and grep but grep isn't giving output as desired. Why? sed '/^*$/d' blank grep -v "^*$" blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/grep

Hi, I have a file with reoccurring patterns and I want extract the 3rd line after the match, then delete another pattern from that third line. For example the file is in the following format: Hello Name: Abc Number: 123 Hello Name: FQE Number: 543 This occurs more than 100... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed/grep

Hello Everyone! I'm kind of new to parsing and would like extract a partial part of my nmap scan output so I can convert it to csv/excel: My current file has two types of lines like this: Nmap scan report for dns1 (1.1.1.1) Nmap scan report for dns2 (2.2.2.2) Nmap scan report for 3.3.3.3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SarahS
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3)

NAME
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep - A GNU grep-based mbox folder reader SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser; my $filename = 'mail/saved-mail'; my $filehandle = new FileHandle($filename); my $folder_reader = new Mail::Mbox::MessageParser( { 'file_name' => $filename, 'file_handle' => $filehandle, 'enable_grep' => 1, } ); die $folder_reader unless ref $folder_reader; # Any newlines or such before the start of the first email my $prologue = $folder_reader->prologue; print $prologue; # This is the main loop. It's executed once for each email while(!$folder_reader->end_of_file()); { my $email = $folder_reader->read_next_email(); print $email; } DESCRIPTION
This module implements a GNU grep-based mbox folder reader. It can only be used when GNU grep is installed on the system. Users must not instantiate this class directly--use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser instead. The base MessageParser module will automatically manage the use of grep and non-grep implementations. METHODS AND FUNCTIONS The following methods and functions are specific to the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep package. For additional inherited ones, see the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser documentation. $ref = new( { 'file_name' => <mailbox file name>, 'file_handle' => <mailbox file handle> }); <file_name> - The full filename of the mailbox <file_handle> - An opened file handle for the mailbox The constructor for the class takes two parameters. The file_name parameter is the filename of the mailbox. The file_handle argument is the opened file handle to the mailbox. Returns a reference to a Mail::Mbox::MessageParser object, or a string describing the error. BUGS
No known bugs. Contact david@coppit.org for bug reports and suggestions. AUTHOR
David Coppit <david@coppit.org>. LICENSE
This software is distributed under the terms of the GPL. See the file "LICENSE" for more information. HISTORY
This code was originally part of the grepmail distribution. See http://grepmail.sf.net/ for previous versions of grepmail which included early versions of this code. SEE ALSO
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser perl v5.12.1 2009-08-09 Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3)