Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!! Post 302145151 by wcmmlynn on Tuesday 13th of November 2007 02:37:18 AM
Old 11-13-2007
You will have to work purely with bash internal commands....

Ran the commands, all greek to me...

root@host [/bin]#
root@host [/bin]# pwd
/bin
root@host [/bin]# echo #path

root@host [/bin]# cd /
root@host [/]# echo /bin/*
/bin/arch /bin/ash /bin/ash.static /bin/awk /bin/basename /bin/bash /bin/bsh /bin/cat /bin/chgrp /bin/chmod /bin/chown /bin/cp /bin/cpio /bin/csh /bin/cut /bin/date /bin/dd /bin/df /bin/dmesg /bin/dnsdomainname /bin/doexec /bin/domainname /bin/dumpkeys /bin/echo /bin/ed /bin/egrep /bin/env /bin/ex /bin/false /bin/fgrep /bin/gawk /bin/gettext /bin/grep /bin/gtar /bin/gunzip /bin/gzip /bin/hostname /bin/igawk /bin/ipcalc /bin/kbd_mode /bin/kill /bin/ksh /bin/link /bin/ln /bin/loadkeys /bin/login /bin/ls /bin/mail /bin/mailx /bin/mkdir /bin/mknod /bin/mktemp /bin/more /bin/mount /bin/mt /bin/mv /bin/netstat /bin/nice /bin/nisdomainname /bin/passwd /bin/pgawk /bin/ping /bin/ping6 /bin/ps /bin/pwd /bin/red /bin/rm /bin/rmdir /bin/rpm /bin/rvi /bin/rview /bin/sed /bin/setfont /bin/setserial /bin/sh /bin/sleep /bin/sort /bin/stty /bin/su /bin/sum /bin/sync /bin/tar /bin/tcsh /bin/touch /bin/tracepath /bin/tracepath6 /bin/traceroute /bin/traceroute6 /bin/true /bin/umount /bin/uname /bin/unicode_start /bin/unicode_stop /bin/unlink /bin/usleep /bin/vi /bin/view /bin/ypdomainname /bin/zcat
root@host [/]# echo /usr/bin*
/usr/bin
root@host [/]#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with errors

I am very new to the world of Unix, in the middle of a crash course as I write this due to a system failure for my company. This system went down approximately 24 hours ago due to some apparent thunderstorms that passed through. The problem is that my company, like many others, has laid off... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phaedirean
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

errors

fatal server error: couldn't open x pointer device! is one attached? xinit: connection refused (errno 239): unable to connect to X server xinit: no such process (errno3): server error. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nobody
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

4. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash/Unix Command Errors

Hi all, I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: # root@host # pwd /bin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Errors in bash with if statements

Hello everyone, I got this type of error when programming in bash new.bat: 16: cannot create : Directory nonexistent $bool new.bat: 37: Syntax error: "then" unexpected (expecting "fi") Does anyone know why? Here is my code #!bin/bash #function helps(){... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbash
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script errors when executing

I'm working on a script that will search through a directory for MKV files and remux them to MP4. I found a few other scripts around the net that do this, but they all have limitations that don't always get the job done. The main limitation I've found is that most scripts look for the video track... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne127
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting from Linux bash (GNU) to Solaris script syntax errors

Original script written on CentOS 6.3 with GNU bash 4.1.2 Destination system is Solaris 9 with GNU bash 2.05 (not changeable by me) I have a script written on the linux side but now we need to provide a version to another site that "doesn't like linux". I've been going through changing the ] or... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
13 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Bash to Ash, errors and adjustments

I wrote Bash script and now I want to convert it to Ash. One headache is this function: do_adduser() { setaddprompt _arr_add=("Add manually" "Add via TXT" "return to main menu" "exit program") select add_action in "${_arr_add}" do case "$REPLY" in 1)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzivkovi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

New bash menu printing errors but closes too quickly

I am beginning to write a new version of the bash menu below. The previous version worked great and now when I start the updated bash it opens and a some lines print in the terminal and it closes quickly. I know there are errors but how can I see them or fix them, I tried set -x with the same... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)