Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash - batch script for extracting one file from multiple tar files Post 302145136 by gus2000 on Tuesday 13th of November 2007 01:29:07 AM
Old 11-13-2007
Curious, I didn't have a problem extracting from tar via wildcards on OSX (it was the nearest Unix machine). I guess you'll need to extract the name first, as you already suggested, although it means scanning each archive twice (arrrrrg).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar files.

Hey guys complete n00b here so I'll try my best at explaining. I'm creating a backup and restore utility and decided to use tar. I create a backup folder in each user's account and when backing up (say word processing files), I use the following: tar cvf /home/user/backup/wpbackup.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific files from a tar file in HP-UX

I have tried: tar -xfv mytarfile.tar archive/tabv/* tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xf mytarfile.tar -v --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards --no-anchored 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards `archive/tabv/*` and none... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting non multiple files via script

Hi, Can somebody help me? I am testing a demo with the given function PATH525="/uscms/home/emily/READme/extra/data/" TEMP=temp FileName=DataFileName CopyFiles() { # PATHNAME="$paths" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in batch renaming files with bash shell script.

I have some 50+ files in the following format : abcd_vish_running_ZEBRA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:23 abcd_vish_running_ZEB-RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:35 abcd_vish_running_ZEB_RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:37 abcd_vish_running_RI-NG_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:42... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar.gz files

I have a directory tree containing archive .tar.gz files that I want to extract at the location where they recide. How can I achieve such an operation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash not removing all .tar.bz2 files after extracting

In the bash below each .tar.bz2 (usually 2) are extracted and then the original .tar.bz2 is removed. However, only one (presumably the first extracted) is being removed, however both are extracted. I am not sure why this is? Thank you :). tar.bz2 folders in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux read specific content file from tar.gz files without extracting

hello i wish to write the result of these below conditions in a file: 1. in a specific folder, i have many tar.gz files. 2. each tar.gz file contains ".dat" file in sub folders. 3. i wish to get the full path of these .dat files, if i find in it a specific word ("ERROR24"). 4. all this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyjames9
6 Replies
pyntor-selfrun(1)						      Pyntor							 pyntor-selfrun(1)

NAME
pyntor-selfrun - creation of self-extracting presentation archives SYNOPSIS
pyntor-selfrun [OPTIONS] presentation-archive|presentation-directory DESCRIPTION
Pyntor is a presentation tool which can display slides and effects of various formats. The tool pyntor-selfrun allows one to create self- extracting archives containing both the presentation and Pyntor itself, so that it can be run on computers where Pyntor itself is not installed. It also ensures independence of the corresponding Pyntor version, as future changes of the application do not affect the previ- ously created presentations. The way pyntor-selfrun works is that it takes the presentation-archive in question, packed as a tarball (which might be named *.pyntor), and the release tarball of Pyntor which must be present somewhere. Using a template file, it then creates the self-running and self-extracting script for distribution. In case the presentation-archive does not exist yet, pyntor-selfrun can create it automatically from a presentation-directory. This is use- ful even when not creating self-extracting archives, see the -a option. OPTIONS
-t, --template=templatefile Uses a template different from that one which is shipped with Pyntor and used by default. The template is a script in Python or another scripting language, which contains the variables %PYNTOR% and %ARCHIVE% which are replaced with the base64-encoded contents of the two files given as arguments to pyntor-selfrun. This option is not recommended for most cases. -a, --archive Creates a pyntor presentation-archive from a directory which contains a script file, local data files and optionally some local com- ponents. This is a convenience operation, since presentation archives are just tarballs, but in the future some checks might be done here. -r, --release=sourcetarball Specifies where to find Pyntor itself to include it into the self-extracting archive. The source tarball should be a released pyn- tor-*.tar.gz file. -h, --help Displays a summary of all available command line options. BUGS
In a future version, pyntor-selfrun should allow to create *.pyntor archives automatically by examining a script file, including only those files of Pyntor which it really needs. AUTHORS
Josef Spillner <josef@coolprojects.org> SEE ALSO
pyntor(1), pyntor-components(1) Cool Projects 0.6 pyntor-selfrun(1)