Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to watch for file creation/deletion? Post 302145129 by porter on Tuesday 13th of November 2007 12:48:22 AM
Old 11-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowtorch
@Porter,
Won't the directory modification time change when a file is deleted as well?
Yes so cheapest thing to do is monitor that single date, then if that changes delve deeper to find what actually changed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deletion of File in Unix

Hi there guys. I'm quite new in using unix and just recently experienced missing file problem. Someone accidentally or likely intentionally deleted one specific folders that contains important file. Now my question is, can any other user aside from root can do such action? Please help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhomel101
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

large file deletion

OS: Solaris 8 I deleted a large file (around 13 Gigs) from my system. But the output of df -k remains the same. The capacity % is constant. However one strange thing is happening- My available space is decreasing, my used space in increasing (The opposite should happen). This is happening... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file deletion problem

I am using unix via telnet ssh and i have a problem I was testing the server. I made a directory. Transfered a file from an ftp to it. Opened the file with the vi text editor --This where my problem came..... I tried deleting the file using rm somefile.htm when is typed ls i noticed that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shdwsclan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prompting for file deletion?

I got help in another forum but now I need further help so I figured I'd ask here. I had to write a script to delete certain filenames of certain size. I got this far.. find . -size 110c -name "*testing*" -print | xargs -n 1 rm -i It finds the correct files, but the prompts to delete are all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Watch for File on Windows share using Shell Script

I want to poll a particular file on a Windows shared drive using shell script and copy it to a Unix directory if present. Step wise execution: 1) Poll/watch for a file in the following location on Windows share: (SRC_DIR=\\mum\dharmesh\research\ST_DXR_20080821 to DXR.xls) 2) If present,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dharam_v
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Watch and copy a file

I need to write a simple shell script to watch a file in a directory and copy immedietly any files in that directory to another oldfiles directory once and later in the evening delete the file from the original directory. File A arrives in dir1 at 8.00AM Watch the file in dir1 and copy the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cravie
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

want file to regenerate after deletion

I looked into the sticky bit, but I think, if possible, that I would prefer to have the file recreate itself after deletion. The file is several directories deep, and from time to time the top level directory will be trashed. I need the file to recreate after this. Is it possible to perhaps... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File content deletion

Hi Everyone, There are certain files under a folder 'ABC' and the entries for these files are there in another file(fname) under a different folder 'XYZ'. I want to compare the folder contents(ABC) with the file(fname) contents and delete the mismatching / non-existing ones from the file,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notification of user id creation/deletion

Can someone help me with a shell script that will send an email to a set of email ids when a user id is created or deleted on AIX system. Also, if the script can let the admin know when a particular user id's password will expire. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

User id creation/deletion - notification

Can someone help me with a shell script that will send an email to a set of email ids when a user id is created or deleted on AIX system. Also, if the script can let the admin know when a particular user id's password will expire. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies
DPNS-LS(1)							DPNS User Commands							DPNS-LS(1)

NAME
dpns-ls - list DPNS name server directory/file entries SYNOPSIS
dpns-ls [-cdhiLlRTu] [--class] [--comment] [--deleted] [--display_side] [--ds] [--si] path... DESCRIPTION
dpns-ls lists DPNS name server directory/file entries. If path is a directory, dpns-ls list the entries in the directory; they are sorted alphabetically. path specifies the DPNS pathname. If path does not start with /, it is prefixed by the content of the DPNS_HOME environment variable. OPTIONS
-c use time of last metadata modification instead of last file modification. -d if path is a directory, list the directory entry itself, not the files in that directory. -h with -l, print sizes in human readable format, using few digits and a suffix k, M, G, T or P to indicate kB, MB, GB, TB or PB respectively. -i print the file uniqueid in front of each entry. -L for symbolic links, print target attributes instead of link attributes. -l long listing (see below). -R list the contents of directories recursively. -T list file segments migrated to tape. -u use last access time instead of last modification. --class print the file class in front of each entry. --comment print the comment associated with the entry after the pathname. --deleted print also the logically deleted files. --display_side or --ds print the vid followed by a slash followed by the media side number. This option is valid only if -T is specified and is useful for multi-sided media like DVD. --si use powers of 1000 not 1024 for sizes. The long list gives the file mode, the number of entries in the directory, the owner in alphabetic form or as a valid numeric ID, the group in alphabetic form or as a valid numerci ID, the file size, the last modification date and the file name. The mode is printed as 10 characters, the first one is d for a directory, D for a logically deleted file, l for a symbolic link, m for a migrated file and - for a regular file. The next 9 characters are three triplets: the first triplet gives read, write and execute/search permission for the owner, the second triplet for the group and the last one for the others. r the file is readable w the file is writable x the file is executable or the directory is searchable - permission is not granted s set-user-ID or set-group-ID bit is on and corresponding execute bit is on S set-user-ID or set-group-ID bit is on but corresponding execute bit is off t sticky bit is on The file segments list gives the file segment status, the copy number, the file segment number, the tape visual identifier, the file sequence number on tape, the blockid, the segment size, the compression factor and the file name. The segment status can be either - for an active segment or D for a logically deleted segment. EXIT STATUS
This program returns 0 if the operation was successful or >0 if the operation failed. SEE ALSO
Castor_limits(4), dpns_chmod(3), dpns_getcomment(3), AUTHOR
LCG Grid Deployment Team DPNS
$Date: 2011-03-15 08:02:08 +0100 (Tue, 15 Mar 2011) $ DPNS-LS(1)