Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to sort and arrange an output Post 302145083 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 12th of November 2007 06:18:00 PM
Old 11-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by drl
Once you have that, then commands like paste become very useful
Ooh, cool utility! I've been fumbling by with perl and shell script segments when I've had to do this in the past.
Must remember that one - nice! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort - only one field appears in output?

I'm running against a file with 1008 records like this, all beginning '4760 Slave': 4760 Slave,7,3607 ,GL ,200605,11320024 , ,GBP ,X00033 ,AI80190 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miwinter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort output

this one is a bit tricky: host16 /etc/passwd changed Thu Jan 3 16:39:48 host3 /etc/group changed Thu Jan 3 16:39:48 host2 /etc/services changed Thu Jan 3 16:39:48 host10 /etc/group changed Thu Jan 10 09:59:01 host11 /etc/group changed Thu Jan 3 18:55:38 host17 /etc/group changed Thu Jan... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort fdupes output by size

Hi I have a file that is a fdupes output. I'd like to sort the duplicated file by size. The format file is the following: 5996544 bytes each: /path1/to/file1.jpg /path2/to/file1.jpg /pathx/to/file1.jpg ... random number of lines /path999/to/file1.jpg 591910 bytes each:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdminLew
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrange output based on rows into columns

Hi All, I would like to ask help on how can i achieve below output. Inputfile: Oct11,apa1-daily,01:25:01 Oct11,apa2-daily,01:45:23 Oct12,apa1-daily,02:30:11 Oct12,apa2-daily,01:55:01 Oct13,apa1-off,01:43:34 Oct13,apa2-off,01:22:04 Desired output: Clients ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mars101
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort output is different with Corn

Hi, I am sorting a file, but getting different output with crontab. input file-file z Z x X y Y when I sort manually sort file x X y Y z Z (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and output to different files

Hi all! I have a comma delimited file and I'm sorting it based on fields 6, 8 and 10. The following does the job: sort -t, -nk6,10 unsorted.txt -o sorted.txt What I need to do now is to write every row containing same values on fields 6, 8 and 10 to a different file. Any ideas on how to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort ps output in seconds

Now I van sort in hour-minute-second. I need in seconds ps -eo pid,etime,args --sort=start_time | grep bash Sample Output 15064 03:23 -bash I need in 03:23 in seconds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to sort an output

with a command i get a long list (example) and the entrys are intended. DName=AAAAA DName=AAAAA lba=838,860,800 label=ftw_1 DName=BBBBB DName=BBBBB lba=838,860,800 label=ftw_2 DName=CCCCC ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serano
3 Replies

9. Linux

Arrange output of a command

Hi, I am using a command :- ps -auxwww 2> /dev/null | awk 'match ($0, GIN:*/) {print substr($0, RSTART+3, RLENGTH-3)}' | sort | grep -v -F 'which gives output as 3 aruau 5 asun 4 cgan Now I need a command which gives me something like this :- 3 aruau 5 asun 4 cgan... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any way to sort ps output based on STIME?

Hi, This is one of the thing that am looking for when I post the question on the ps wrapper. It has since been closed as it has taken me too long to post an example. I have replaced some of the original content of the ps output. uname -a = SunOS <hostname> 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc sun4v ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)