Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding out user name from an ip Post 302144716 by Sivaswami on Friday 9th of November 2007 10:59:05 AM
Old 11-09-2007
is that a unix system ? if so can you try finger protocol.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the group to which a user belongs

Is there any command to find to which group u ser belongs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding The Number Of Programs That A Given User Running On A TERMINAL

How To Find The Number Of Programs That A User Running ON A GIVEN TERMINAL (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkata.ganesh
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for shell script of finding shortest substring from given string by user

please give me proper solution for finding a shortest substring from given string if string itself and first char and last char of that substr are also given by user if S="dpoaoqooroo" and FC="o" and LC="o",then shortest substr is "oo" and rest of the string is "dpoaoqroo" i have code but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

finding free memory as a non-root user

All, I have a software application that requires to find the free memory on the machine. It should work in a hpux Out of the box - in other words, it should use the basic OS commands which are available on every HP-UX machine like top, vmstat and doesn't require the user to purchase 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny8107
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding just unix user

I need to check for username that we are logged in.There are a lot of unix users and proceed according to that i.e find unix user if then echo "x" elif then echo "y' fi fi Now I dont know how to find and put user in if condition (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding user accounts not accessed for a specific number of days

Hi all, Recently I came across a challenge of finding the user accounts lying around on servers and not being used so much. Our client has hundreds of AIX, RedHat, and Solaris servers. For AIX, I have made a script which uses lsuser and a little bit of sed and awk to show the user accounts... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding AIX user accounts expired or locked

// AIX 6.1 In need of finding which AIX user accounts will be expired and are locked. I have placed the following parameters under /etc/security/user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies
FINGERD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FINGERD(8)

NAME
fingerd, in.fingerd - remote user information server SYNOPSIS
finger stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/in.fingerd in.fingerd tcpd finger /usr/sbin/in.fingerd in.fingerd DESCRIPTION
Fingerd is a simple protocol based on RFC742 that provides an interface to the Name and Finger programs at several network sites. The pro- gram is supposed to return a friendly, human-oriented status report on either the system at the moment or a particular person in depth. There is no required format and the protocol consists mostly of specifying a single ``command line''. Fingerd listens for TCP requests at port 79. Once connected it reads a single command line terminated by a <CRLF> which is passed to fin- ger(1). Fingerd closes its connections as soon as the output is finished. If the line is null (i.e. just a <CRLF> is sent) then finger returns a ``default'' report that lists all people logged into the system at that moment. If a user name is specified (e.g. eric<CRLF>) then the response lists more extended information for only that particular user, whether logged in or not. Allowable ``names'' in the command line include both ``login names'' and ``user names''. If a name is ambiguous, all possible derivations are returned. SEE ALSO
finger(1). BUGS
Connecting directly to the server from a TIP or an equally narrow-minded TELNET-protocol user program can result in meaningless attempts at option negotiation being sent to the server, which will foul up the command line interpretation. Fingerd should be taught to filter out IAC's and perhaps even respond negatively (IAC WON'T) to all option commands received. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution May 23, 1986 FINGERD(8)