Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk Compare f1,f2,f3 of File1 with f1 of File2 Post 302144476 by aigles on Thursday 8th of November 2007 11:35:45 AM
Old 11-08-2007
You can do something like that (assume that the two files two contain the same list of names) :
Code:
function are_same_names(n11, n12, n13, n2     ,n1) {
   n1 = n11 " " n12 " " n13;
   gsub(/ +/, " ", n1);
   return (n1 == n2)
}

BEGIN {
   FS = OFS = ":";

while (getline < ARGV[1]) {
      f11 = $1;
      f12 = $2;
      f13 = $3;
      getline < ARGV[2];
      if (are_same_names(f11, f12, f13, $1)) {
         print f11, f12, f13, $2, $3;
      } else {
         print f11, f12, f13;
      }
   }
}

Command:
Code:
awk -f compare.awk File1 File2

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Compare File1 File2 on f2

I'm trying to compare two files using AWK, where if field2 of both files match, replace field1 of file1 with field1 of file2 and if there is no match just print the line of file1. file1.txt (has empty first field) :ABBATOM:B:H:1992 :ABBA TROJAN:B:H:1993 :ABBES FIRST HOPE:B:M:1997 :ABBEYS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replacing stings in file1 with column1 in file2

Hello, I've never used awk before, but from what I've read, it will best suit what I'm trying to do. I have 2 files. I need to replace strings in file1 with the first column of a matching string in file2. Below are examples: File1: random-string1 1112 1232 3213 2131 random-string2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: upstate_boy
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] split file1 and save it as var from file2

I have 2 files: file_1: file_2: expected result: name file: "artV1" "artV2" etc. I have: but why don;t work save to file 'out'?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffresz
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for lines, which is present in file1 but not in file2 using UNIX and awk

I have 2 files with 7 fields and i want to print the lines which is present in file1 but not in file2 based on field1 and field2. Logic: I want to print all the lines, where there is a particular column1 and column2. And we do not find the set of column1 and column2 in file2. Example: "sc2/10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NamS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and find records of file1 not in file2

hi.. i am using solaris system and ksh and using nawk to get records of file1 not in file2(not line by line comparison). code i am using is nawk 'NR==FNR{a++} !a {print"line:" FNR"->" $0} ' file2 file1 same command with awk runs perfectly on darwin kernel(mac) but in solaris it does line by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file2 if not the same as file1

Trying to use awk to: update $2 in file2 with the $2 value in file1, if $1 in file1 matches $13 in file2, which is tab-delimeted. The $2values may already be the same so in that case nothing happens and the next line is processed. There are exactly 4,605 unique $13 values. Thank you :). ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
Data::Compare::Plugins(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Data::Compare::Plugins(3)

NAME
Data::Compare::Plugins - how to extend Data::Compare DESCRIPTION
Data::Compare natively handles several built-in data types - scalars, references to scalars, references to arrays, references to hashes, references to subroutines, compiled regular expressions, and globs. For objects, it tries to Do The Right Thing and compares the underlying data type. However, this is not always what you want. This is especially true if you have complex objects which overload stringification and/or numification. Hence we allow for plugins. FINDING PLUGINS
Data::Compare will try to load any module installed on your system under the various @INC/Data/Compare/Plugins/ directories. If there is a problem loading any of them, an appropriate warning will be issued. Because of how we find plugins, no plugins are available when running in "taint" mode. WRITING PLUGINS
Internally, plugins are "require"d into Data::Compare. This means that they need to evaluate to true. We make use of that true value. Where normally you just put: 1; at the end of an included file, you should instead ensure that you return a reference to an array. This is treated as being true so satisfies perl, and is a damned sight more useful. Inside that array should be either a description of what this plugin is to do, or references to several arrays containing such descriptions. A description consists of two or three items. First a string telling us what the first data-type handled by your plugin is. Second, (and optional, defaulting to the same as the first) the second data-type to compare. To handle comparisons to ordinary scalars, give the empty string for the data-type, ie: ['MyType', '', sub { ...}] Third and last, we need a reference to the subroutine which does the comparison. That subroutine should expect to take two parameters, which will be of the specified type. It should return 1 if they compare the same, or 0 if they compare different. Be aware that while you might give a description like: ['Type1', 'Type2', sub { ... }] this will handle both comparing Type1 to Type2, and comparing Type2 to Type1. ie, comparison is commutative. If you want to use Data::Compare's own comparison function from within your handler (to, for example, compare a data structure that you have stored somewhere in your object) then you will need to call it as Data::Compare::Compare. However, you must be careful to avoid infinite recursion by calling D::C::Compare which in turn calls back to your handler. The name of your plugins does not matter, only that it lives in one of those directories. Of course, giving it a sensible name means that the usual installation mechanisms will put it in the right place, and meaningful names will make it easier to debug your code. For an example, look at the plugin that handles Scalar::Properties objects, which is distributed with Data::Compare. DISTRIBUTION
Provided that the above rules are followed I see no reason for you to not upload your plugin to the CPAN yourself. You will need to make Data::Compare a pre-requisite, so that the CPAN.pm installer does the right thing. Alternatively, if you would prefer me to roll your plugin in with the Data::Compare distribution, I'd be happy to do so provided that the code is clear and well-commented, and that you include tests and documentation. SEE ALSO
Data::Compare Data::Compare::Plugins::Scalar::Properties AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 2004 David Cantrell <david@cantrell.org.uk>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2011-07-23 Data::Compare::Plugins(3)