Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Awk in shell script to extract an index of a substring from a parent string Post 302144290 by sandeepms17 on Wednesday 7th of November 2007 06:44:51 AM
Old 11-07-2007
Hey Radoulov,

Thanks a lot Smilie

Thanks,
Sandeep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command/script to extract a substring from a string

I have a long string "<ID type="Oid">{}</ID>" I need to extract "GigabitEthernet0/1" from the above string. How can it be done? :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girisha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for shell script of finding shortest substring from given string by user

please give me proper solution for finding a shortest substring from given string if string itself and first char and last char of that substr are also given by user if S="dpoaoqooroo" and FC="o" and LC="o",then shortest substr is "oo" and rest of the string is "dpoaoqroo" i have code but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract substring of unknown length from string

I have a string: hgLogOutput=" +0000 files: forum/web/hook-test.txt /forum/web/hook-test-2.txt description: test" and I want to extract the file names from it, they will always appear between the files: and the description:. I have worked out that I can do this: "$hgLogOutput" | awk '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klogger
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Extract substring from a string

i have srtring i.e. "NAME,CLASS,AGE" (length of string is not constant) and from this string i've extract each word delimited by "," (comma). INPUT: "NAME,CLASS,AGE" OUTPUT: NAME CLASS AGE how can i do that? i have tried some string manipulation function like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string up to the first occurence of a substring

Hi, I'm a newbie to shell scripting and have searched the forum but couldn't find what i was looking for. Basically I have a list of filenames like... 123-fileone.txt I want to be able to extract the prefix up to the first '-'. So I'd end up with 123. I have attempted it using a pretty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string in shell script

Hi All, i've a string /u/asak/DATE/TEST_LOGS/20110704_033429_test11_w_2_120/HDD/test11_w_2_12/hd-120 i need to extract string which is test11_w_2_120, this can be start with anything, numbers, characters with underscore etc.. but the time stamp 20110704_033429_ with two underscores will be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a substring from a string

Hi, I have an input string say for example: ABC,DEF,IJK,LMN,...,XYZ The above string is comma delimited. Now I have to extract the last part after the comma i.e. XYZ. :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract certain digits from file with index substr

I would like to extract a digit from $0 starting 2,30 to 3,99 or 2.30 to 3.99 Can somebody fix this? awk --re-interval '{if($0 ~ /{1}{2}/) {print FILENAME, substr($0,index($0,/{1}{2}/) , 4)}}'input abcdefg sdlfkj 3,29 g. lasdfj alsdfjasl 2.86 gr. slkjds sldkd lskdjfsl sdfkj kdjlksj 3,34 g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring using SED/AWK

Hi All, I have a log file in which name and version of applications are coming in the following format name It may look like following, based on the name of the application and version: XYZ OR xyz OR XyZ OR xyz I want to separate out the name and version and store them into variables.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell Extract substring

Hi all, Please, i'd like to extract string just before '.fr'. Here is some lines of my file: g-82.text.text1.fr.worker1 g-xx.yyyyyy.zzzz.fr.worker2 i'd like to extract this text: g-82.text.text1 g-xx.yyyyyy.zzzz Please, which command i have to use in my script shell ? ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
16 Replies