Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: max precision in float
Top Forums Programming max precision in float Post 302144255 by useless79 on Wednesday 7th of November 2007 02:18:34 AM
Old 11-07-2007
max precision in float

Hi,

As all of us know that size of int is machine as well as compiler dependent
we can get the range and size of an int , float and char etc in

/usr/include/limits.h

header file of a compiler

but could any one tell me how to get info of precision of float and double
data type in a perticular compiler ?

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

precision getting?

I need to find out the precision on a solaris machine using the unix terminal. How do I find this out? Specifics needed: How are single precision numbers represented (8 or 16 bit) How are double precision numbers represented (16 or 32 bit) How are they stored. ( some computers store numbers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Townsfolk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bc arbitrary precision cal lang

Hello all, I don't know ksh that well but when I try to run a simple script using the bc command I get "unexpected '.' ", has any one encouter this or help me. I'm running under redaht 7.2. Here is a simple example: #!/bin/ksh # kilo=`echo "2495 * .25"|bc` if then echo "LESS THEN"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

3. Programming

math.h: float ceilf(float x)

Good morning, I'm testing the use of ceilf: /*Filename: str.c*/ #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> int main (void) { float ceilf(float x); int dev=3, result=0; float tmp = 3.444f; printf("Result: %f\n",ceilf(tmp)); return 0; } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix diff with numerical precision

Hi, I search a unix utility to diff two files, that takes as argument numerical precision as well. If two files are different only in numbers and the difference is less than precision then the result as they are the same. The precision may be absolute (x1-x2) or relative (x2/x1). Also I need the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stella
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the decimal numbers with 6 precision

Hi guys, I have a single column file with millions of records. I want to count the number of records with 6 decimal precision. for ex: 1234.12 1234.132 12345.12345 1234.1 1234.13 1234.123456 243435.454555 i need to count the number of records with precision of 6 ( i.e here the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus_kosaman
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double-precision result (awk)

hi, I am a new awk user, now i want to change my result from 1 ca 0.2057422D-01 -0.7179106D-02 -0.5600872D-02 2 o 0.2463722D-01 -0.1554542D-01 0.3110649D-01 3 h -0.1068047D-01 0.1016889D-01 -0.4088230D-02 to 1 ca 0.02057422 -0.007179106 -0.005600872 2 o 0.02463722 -0.01554542 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wanchem
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change precision of bash variable

I have a variable in a bash script, DISTANCE=`awk 'BEGIN {FS="\t"} {if (NR==2) print $3;}' $OUTFILE` this is a real number taken from a file. The value are like, 0.334561754018 I am using this value in a file name, '$NAME'_'$DISTANCE'.txt I would like to shorten the number some to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get timestamp with millisecond precision

Hi All, could any body let me know. how to get timestamp with millisecond precision in unix bash shell. example -->2005-12-06- 4-22-35-195 please help me. Thanks, Krupa:wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Precision in print

I have a shell script which prints a variable to a text file (sorry if this is the wrong terminology, I'm new to this): awk `{sumdiffsqt+=$1;stdevt=sqrt(sumdiffsqt/('${n}'-1));errt=stdevt/sqrt('${n}')} END {print '$period',stdevt,errt}' diffsqt.txt >> ${xstation1}_${xstation2}_tt.err I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: claire.a
4 Replies
floor(3m)																 floor(3m)

Name
       floor,  ffloor,	fabs,  ceil,  ceil,  trunc,  ftrunc, fmod, rint - floor, absolute value, ceiling, truncation, floating point remainder and
       round-to-nearest functions

Syntax
       #include <math.h>

double floor(x)
       double x;

float ffloor(x)
       float x;

double ceil(x)
       double x;

float fceil(x)
       float x;

double trunc(x)
       double x;

float ftrunc(x)
       float x;

double fabs(x)
       double x;

double fmod (x, y)
       double x, y;

double rint(x)
       double x;

Description
       The and routines return the largest integer which is not greater than x for double and float data types, respectively.

The and routines return the smallest integer which is not less than x for double and float data types, respectively.

The and routines return the integer (represented as a floating-point number) of x with the fractional bits truncated for double	and  float
       data types respectively.

The routine returns the absolute value |x|.

The  routine returns the floating point remainder of the division of x by y: zero if y is zero or if x/y would overflow; otherwise the num-
       ber f with the same sign as x, such that x = iy + f for some integer i, and |f| < |y|.

The routine returns the integer (represented as a double precision number) nearest x in the direction of the prevailing rounding mode.

In the default rounding mode, to nearest, is the integer nearest x with the additional stipulation that if |rint(x)-x|=1/2  then  is  even.
       Other rounding modes can make act like or or round towards zero.

Another way to obtain an integer near x is to declare (in C)
	      double x;     int k;    k = x;
       The  C  compiler  rounds  x  towards 0 to get the integer k.  Also note that, if x is larger than k can accommodate, the value of k and the
       presence or absence of an integer overflow are hard to predict.

The routine is in libc.a rather than libm.a.

See Also
       abs(3), ieee(3m), math(3m)

RISC								 floor(3m)