Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script to find and replace string in multiple files Post 302144229 by pharos467 on Tuesday 6th of November 2007 08:14:28 PM
Old 11-06-2007
same script with different attempt

I tried the following script

cd pathname
for y in `ls *`;
do
sed 's_c:\mydocuments\pictures_d:/mypics/personal_' $y > temp; mv temp $y;
done

This script is working for all other paths mentioned with forward slash (i.e c:/mydocuments/pictures ).

As it has a back slash i need to save it with one more \ i.e \\ but using this is not working, instead getting Error (sed garbled).

Any solutions ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in multiple files (Shell script)

hi guys, Suppose you have 100 files in a folder and you want to replace all occurances of a word say "ABCD" in those files with "DCBA", how would you do it ??? jatin (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatins_s
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to replace tokens in multiple files

I have multiple script files that I have created, that allow me to simply replace a few tokens at the top of the file, and then not have to go through the actual script and change anything. I have about 10 of them, but I was hoping to find a way to write a small script that would allow me to input... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace string in multiple files

Hi, I'm new to Unix. My understanding of Unix and its command is very limited. I have about 1000 text files that have a word in it that I need to replace with a different word. e.g. a.txt has 1 line of txt: monday, tuesday, wednesday b.txt has 1 line of txt: monday, tuesday,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find and replace contents of files in directory

Hi all This is my first post. Please bear with me with all my mistakes. I started learning shell since couple of days now and this might be quite basic for all, i want to search for files in a directory containing specific string and replace it with new string. The code i wrote is quite bulky... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theprogrammer
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find multiple strings and replace single string

Hi, following Perl code i used for finding multiple strings and replace with single string. code: #!/usr/bin/perl my @files = <*.txt>; foreach $fileName (@files) { print "$fileName\n"; my $searchStr = ',rdata\)' | ',,rdata\)' | ', ,rdata\)'; my $replaceStr =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in multiple files

Hi, I have php files in main dir and sub dir's as well. I need to find "new mysqli('localhost', 'System', 'xxxxxx', 'System', '3306');" and replace as "new mysqli('localhost', 'unx_sys', 'yyyy', 'unx_sys', '3306');" I tried like: sed 's/new mysqli\(*\)\;$/new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace from multiple files

Hello everybody, I need your help. I have a php site that was expoited, the hacker has injected into many php files a phishing code that was discovered and removed in order to have again a clean code. Now we need to remove from many php files that malware. I need to create a script that find and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninocap
2 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ... mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes each of the given file name templates and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with some number of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp selecting 1 of 56800235584 (62 ** 6) pos- sible file names. On case-insensitive file systems, the effective number of unique names is significantly less; given six 'Xs', mktemp will instead select 1 of 2176782336 (36 ** 6) possible unique file names. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. If the -t prefix option is given, mktemp will generate a template string based on the prefix and the _CS_DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR configuration variable if available. Fallback locations if _CS_DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR is not available are TMPDIR and /tmp. Care should be taken to ensure that it is appropriate to use an environment variable potentially supplied by the user. If no arguments are passed or if only the -d flag is passed mktemp behaves as if -t tmp was supplied. Any number of temporary files may be created in a single invocation, including one based on the internal template resulting from the -t flag. The mktemp utility is provided to allow shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the pid as a suffix and use that as a temporary file name. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior, approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this does allow one to guarantee that a temporary file will not be subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. For these reasons it is suggested that mktemp be used instead. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t prefix Generate a template (using the supplied prefix and TMPDIR if set) to create a filename template. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. EXIT STATUS
The mktemp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE To allow the use of $TMPDIR: tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -t ${tempfoo}` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
mkdtemp(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), confstr(3), environ(7) HISTORY
A mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. This implementation was written independently based on the OpenBSD man page, and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.7. This man page is taken from OpenBSD. BSD
December 30, 2005 BSD