Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disabling NIS at boot
Operating Systems AIX Disabling NIS at boot Post 302144220 by SeanU on Tuesday 6th of November 2007 07:16:01 PM
Old 11-06-2007
Hitting '5' at startup gets the machine to boot from the original 4.3.3 but then the LED display is 0518 and will not get past it. I am sure it is trying to boot from the CD because the it is booting from the scsi device with an ID of 1 and that is the CD.

Booting from HD results in a problem with the netsvc.conf or resolv.conf file I know my netsvc.conf file is:
hosts = local, nis, bind4

but the problem might be in the resolv.conf file I messed up when I was setting the base TCP/IP configuration and it created at resolv.conf file and then I forgot to correct the problem before I rebooted.

I need a way to get around the 0518 error - from the links sent from porter it seems to be that my installed OS is at a higher level then the OS media I have on hand.

I was able to download the diagnostic CD for 5.1 and it indicated there was a problem with hdisk1 but I am not sure if there really is a problem there. I would like to find an image of the diagnostic CD for 4.3.3. I am going to run through the diag CD again to see if there is a real problem with hdisk1, if rootvg is spread across both hard drives that might be my problem, but I really do not think that is the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris NIS+ and RedHat NIS+

Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I would like to know if Redhat running NIS ( not NIS +) would have conflict with Solaris running NIS+. Currently I am running NIS+ on Solaris but will be adding RedHat to the network. I seem to be unable to find and information regarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

differences nis nis+

Hello together. Is there someone who is able to explain me the differences between NIS and NIS+. thanks in advance joerg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS map mail.aliases specified, but NIS not running

Hi all, I just took over the admin role from someone and I wanna setup sendmail (just to send mail from the host) however, after I config all the resolv.conf, nssitch.conf, hosts file and when I try to send a mail out, after I punched ctl-D, it returned he following, "NIS map mail.aliases... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling NIS

How do you disable a server, #1, from trying to use the NIS that is running on another server, #2? I would like the #1 server to just use the local etc/shadow file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating that the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled

I'm creating a scrip for auditing our AIX box's to ensure that they are built according to our system standards. I'm not sure on the logic for checking to see if the NIS and NIS+ services are disabled. any idea's? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

NIS disabling the MAP for a local user

Hello everybody, we have a NIS User lsfadmin which gets his environment variables from the autmount /home/lsfadmin. A newer version of the application needs a different environment to launch the application. I can't change the environment of the NIS User because we use NIS company wide for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
0 Replies

9. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Boot Error - NIS services fails with Status 96

My system suddenly crash and when it rebooted there was an error: /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s3 is logging svc.startd: svc:/network/nis/client:default: Method "/method/yp" failed with status 96. The system completes booting however when I log in a user account / directory is not longer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NeedSolarisHelp
1 Replies
RESOLVCONF(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                RESOLVCONF(8)

NAME
resolvconf -- a framework for managing multiple DNS configurations SYNOPSIS
resolvconf -I resolvconf [-m metric] [-p] -a interface <file resolvconf [-f] -d interface resolvconf -il pattern resolvconf -u DESCRIPTION
resolvconf manages resolv.conf(5) files from multiple sources, such as DHCP and VPN clients. Traditionally, the host runs just one client and that updates /etc/resolv.conf. More modern systems frequently have wired and wireless interfaces and there is no guarantee both are on the same network. With the advent of VPN and other types of networking daemons, many things now contend for the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. resolvconf solves this by letting the daemon send their resolv.conf(5) file to resolvconf via stdin(3) with the argument -a interface instead of the filesystem. resolvconf then updates /etc/resolv.conf as it thinks best. When a local resolver other than libc is installed, such as dnsmasq(8) or named(8), then resolvconf will supply files that the resolver should be configured to include. resolvconf can mark an interfaces resolv.conf as private. This means that the name servers listed in that resolv.conf are only used for queries against the domain/search listed in the same file. This only works when a local resolver other than libc is installed. See resolvconf.conf(5) for how to configure resolvconf to use a local name server. When an interface goes down, it should then call resolvconf with -d interface arguments to delete the resolv.conf file for the interface. Here are some more options that resolvconf has:- -I Initialise the state directory /run/resolvconf. This only needs to be called if the initial system boot sequence does not automati- cally clean it out; for example the state directory is moved somewhere other than /var/run. If used, it should only be called once as early in the system boot sequence as possible and before resolvconf is used to add interfaces. -f Ignore non existant interfaces. Only really useful for deleting interfaces. -i pattern List the interfaces, optionally matching pattern, we have resolv.conf files for. -l pattern List the resolv.conf files we have. If pattern is specified then we list the files for the interfaces that match it. -m metric Set the metric of the interface when adding it, default of 0. Lower metrics take precedence. This affects the default order of interfaces when listed. -p Marks the interface resolv.conf as private. -u Force resolvconf to update all it's subscribers. resolvconf does not update the subscribers when adding a resolv.conf that matches what it already has for that interface. resolvconf also has some options designed to be used by it's subscribers:- -v Echo variables DOMAINS, SEARCH and NAMESERVERS so that the subscriber can configure the resolver easily. INTERFACE ORDERING
For resolvconf to work effectively, it has to process the resolv.confs for the interfaces in the correct order. resolvconf first processes interfaces from the interface_order list, then interfaces without a metic and that match the dynamic_order list, then interfaces with a met- ric in order and finally the rest in the operating systems lexical order. See resolvconf.conf(5) for details on these lists. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
If a subscriber has the executable bit then it is executed otherwise it is assumed to be a shell script and sourced into the current environ- ment in a subshell. This is done so that subscribers can remain fast, but are also not limited to the shell language. Portable subscribers should not use anything outside of /bin and /sbin because /usr and others may not be available when booting. Also, it would be unwise to assume any shell specific features. ENVIRONMENT
IF_METRIC If the -m option is not present then we use IF_METRIC for the metric. IF_PRIVATE Marks the interface resolv.conf as private. FILES
/etc/resolvconf.conf Configuration file for resolvconf. /lib/resolvconf Directory of subscribers which are run every time resolvconf adds, deletes or updates. /lib/resolvconf/libc.d Directory of subscribers which are run after the libc subscriber is run. /run/resolvconf State directory for resolvconf. HISTORY
This implementation of resolvconf is called openresolv and is fully command line compatible with Debian's resolvconf, as written by Thomas Hood. SEE ALSO
resolv.conf(5), resolvconf.conf(5), resolver(3), stdin(3) AUTHORS
Roy Marples <roy@marples.name> BUGS
Please report them to http://roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv resolvconf does not validate any of the files given to it. When running a local resolver other than libc, you will need to configure it to include files that resolvconf will generate. You should con- sult resolvconf.conf(5) for instructions on how to configure your resolver. BSD March 19, 2012 BSD