Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mysql CHAR vs VARCHAR
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Mysql CHAR vs VARCHAR Post 302144137 by benefactr on Tuesday 6th of November 2007 11:11:53 AM
Old 11-06-2007
Mysql CHAR vs VARCHAR

Looking for any advise from a DBA/DA. When should you use CHAR and when should you use VARCHAR when designing a table. From my readings seems like VARCHAR will accept any length string even though you define a length to it, so I setup gadget VARCHAR(10) I could actually put something with 20 characters in there. Thanks for any advise on this. Bill

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace any char with newline char.

Hi, How to replace any character in a file with a newline character using sed .. Ex: To replace ',' with newline Input: abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop Output: abcd efgh ijkl mnop Thnx in advance. Regards, Sasidhar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightysam
5 Replies

2. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sorting of varchar columns

Hi , I need to sort a file based on multiple columns All the columns are of varchar type can any one give me the command to sort for varchar columns? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi131
3 Replies

4. Programming

concat const char * with char *

hello everybody! i have aproblem! i dont know how to concatenate const char* with char const char *buffer; char *b; sprintf(b,"result.txt"); strcat(buffer,b); thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
4 Replies

5. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL Daemon failed to start - no mysql.sock file

After doing a yum install mysql mysql-server on Fedora 14 I wasn't able to fully install the packages correctly. It installed MySQL 5.1. I was getting the following error when running the: mysql ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
3 Replies

7. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get number on file exclude varchar?

hallo, yould you guys help me? im using bash script i have file getnumber.csv cat getnumber.csv 234198 654639 eht4v4 453nbddme 43 455fr i try this cat getnumber.csv | sed 's/*//g' but the result is : 234198 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kivale
5 Replies
OCI_BIND_ARRAY_BY_NAME(3)												 OCI_BIND_ARRAY_BY_NAME(3)

oci_bind_array_by_name - Binds a PHP array to an Oracle PL/SQL array parameter

SYNOPSIS
bool oci_bind_array_by_name (resource $statement, string $name, array &$var_array, int $max_table_length, [int $max_item_length = -1], [int $type = SQLT_AFC]) DESCRIPTION
Binds the PHP array $var_array to the Oracle placeholder $name, which points to an Oracle PL/SQL array. Whether it will be used for input or output will be determined at run-time. PARAMETERS
o $statement - A valid OCI statement identifier. o $name - The Oracle placeholder. o $var_array - An array. o $max_table_length - Sets the maximum length both for incoming and result arrays. o $max_item_length - Sets maximum length for array items. If not specified or equals to -1, oci_bind_array_by_name(3) will find the longest element in the incoming array and will use it as the maximum length. o $type - Should be used to set the type of PL/SQL array items. See list of available types below: o SQLT_NUM - for arrays of NUMBER. o SQLT_INT - for arrays of INTEGER (Note: INTEGER it is actually a synonym for NUMBER(38), but SQLT_NUM type won't work in this case even though they are synonyms). o SQLT_FLT - for arrays of FLOAT. o SQLT_AFC - for arrays of CHAR. o SQLT_CHR - for arrays of VARCHAR2. o SQLT_VCS - for arrays of VARCHAR. o SQLT_AVC - for arrays of CHARZ. o SQLT_STR - for arrays of STRING. o SQLT_LVC - for arrays of LONG VARCHAR. o SQLT_ODT - for arrays of DATE. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 oci_bind_array_by_name(3) example <?php $conn = oci_connect("hr", "hrpwd", "localhost/XE"); if (!$conn) { $m = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($m['message']), E_USER_ERROR); } $create = "CREATE TABLE bind_example(name VARCHAR(20))"; $stid = oci_parse($conn, $create); oci_execute($stid); $create_pkg = " CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE ARRAYBINDPKG1 AS TYPE ARRTYPE IS TABLE OF VARCHAR(20) INDEX BY BINARY_INTEGER; PROCEDURE iobind(c1 IN OUT ARRTYPE); END ARRAYBINDPKG1;"; $stid = oci_parse($conn, $create_pkg); oci_execute($stid); $create_pkg_body = " CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY ARRAYBINDPKG1 AS CURSOR CUR IS SELECT name FROM bind_example; PROCEDURE iobind(c1 IN OUT ARRTYPE) IS BEGIN -- Bulk Insert FORALL i IN INDICES OF c1 INSERT INTO bind_example VALUES (c1(i)); -- Fetch and reverse IF NOT CUR%ISOPEN THEN OPEN CUR; END IF; FOR i IN REVERSE 1..5 LOOP FETCH CUR INTO c1(i); IF CUR%NOTFOUND THEN CLOSE CUR; EXIT; END IF; END LOOP; END iobind; END ARRAYBINDPKG1;"; $stid = oci_parse($conn, $create_pkg_body); oci_execute($stid); $stid = oci_parse($conn, "BEGIN arraybindpkg1.iobind(:c1); END;"); $array = array("one", "two", "three", "four", "five"); oci_bind_array_by_name($stid, ":c1", $array, 5, -1, SQLT_CHR); oci_execute($stid); var_dump($array); ?> PHP Documentation Group OCI_BIND_ARRAY_BY_NAME(3)