Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed : remove whitespace
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed : remove whitespace Post 302144117 by kahuna on Tuesday 6th of November 2007 09:42:49 AM
Old 11-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigles
Code:
sed 's/ $//'  file1.txt > file2.txt # Remove the last space at eol
sed 's/ $//g' file1.txt > file2.txt # Remove all spaces at eol

I don't think that will work. You need
Code:
sed 's/ *$//' file1.txt > file2.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove whitespace and test

Hi, I know removing whitespaces I can found so many threads to read how it works and i did it, but my problem isn't solved... I have in my script a variable $1 which can contains a text like " Channel ". No I want to check if $1 contains the word Channel, but I don't know how many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Matching a string with whitespace?

I am trying to search through a text file and replace the number 1 at the beginning of the string in the second field with the number 9. There maybe one or more occurrences of whitespace between the string GPA131 and 17049333610. Does anyone know how to do this with sed? GPA131 17049333610 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed and whitespace characters

I have teh follwing details in a file: SmithA..... ,,400 JonesA..... ,,300 JamesA..... ,,600 BakerA ,,800 ChrisA ,,1200 the first field name is 6 characters in length always and alays ends with an 'A'. The periods denote white space (space caharacters), as you can see on certain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SAMZ
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove whitespace

I combined 2 files using the paste command. It gave me something like this: 123445 ,AABBNN 22344 ,BBVVMM I want to remove the whitespace between the end of string 1 and the comma (there is more blank space than my post is showing). Would I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use sed to replace whitespace with a carriage return

Greetings I need to replace "whitespace" in a file with the newline character aka carriage return My command is either wrong or not interpreted properly by me shell sed s/" "/\\n" "/g nets > nets1 or sed s/" "/\n" "/g nets > nets1 nets (input file) 13MHZ_IN... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Remove whitespace between two strings

I have a 13 number string, some whitespace, and then /mp3. I need to join them. Everyline that I need this for begins with "cd" (without the quotes). What it looks like now: cd media/Audio/WAVE/9781933976334 /mp3 What I want my output to be: cd media/Audio/WAVE/9781933976334/mp3 The 13... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove whitespace after pipe symbol but not inside words

I have a file that looks like this: 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| FTW| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| VPS| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #6 X 1/2"| ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How remove leading whitespace from xml (sed /awk?)

Hi again I have an xml file and want to remove the leading white space as it causes me issues later in my script I see sed is possible but cant seem to get it to work I tried sed 's/^ *//' file.xml output <xn:VsDataContainer id="1U104799" modifier="update"> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniquebmx
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)                                                   Git Manual                                                   GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)