Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Getting Solaris machine into Network Post 302143525 by porter on Thursday 1st of November 2007 11:01:38 PM
Old 11-02-2007
What is your network configuration?

What network will your machine plug into?

Is there a DHCP server which dynamically allocates IP addresses?

Have you been told on an IP address you must use?

Are you on a network that is going through a NAT router?

How are names going to be resolved?

Which name server are you going to use?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Machine names changing on network

Hello, this is my first post, and yeah, I'm quite new to UNIX, so please bare with me... My question has to do with a few Macs on a Windows network, but since the question is not OS X specific (I think) or Windows specific (I think), but rather UNIXish (I think) I chose to post here rather than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxj
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Best possible communication mechanism between a Solaris machine and a windows machine

hi, I have some windows client machines which require a signal to be sent by a Solaris machine( SunOS 5.6) when ever a particular event occurs on that Solaris machine. What are possible communication mechanisms by which i can do this. the constraints are > the windows machines have to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krsh
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

RSH to Ubuntu machine from Solaris machine?

This is probably really basic compared to what you guys are usually talking about here, but I have a problem and I have no idea what to do about it. I try to RSH to my Ubuntu computer from my Solaris one and run into a dead end: >> rsh 192.168.1.103 ::ffff:192.168.1.103: Connection timed out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see network speed of virtual linux machine?

After installing PV (Para virtual drivers) drivers I m not able to check the network speed of my Ethernet port. Please check the output of mii-tool and ethtool. # mii-tool eth0 SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported # ethtool eth0 Settings for eth0: Link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How do I network a Suse installed machine with other computers, specifically Red hat Linux?

How do I network a Suse installed machine with other computers, specifically Red hat Linux? This is for a school project, and I can't find any pages that tell how to network a Suse to other computers except how to use a printer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris ssh client hangs when connecting to another Solaris machine

Got a strange problem. I have 4 Solaris servers all configured the same, Solaris 10 x86 update 10. When I try to ssh from one Solaris 10 server to another server ssh hangs. I have an identical server and when I try this everything works fine. The weird thing is if I am root on the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Network of Virtual machine not working

Hello, I have a problem. I have a server SPARC T3-1 with solaris 11 on the base. The server is working well. And then i did a virtual machine using again Solaris 11 to do this, but now my notwork on my virtual machine is not working anymore. There says that the network that i have created is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: keziacp
11 Replies

9. IP Networking

Finding lost machine on network trouble

Couldn't find my PC on network. Root of evil the was in bad patch-cable. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: useretail
0 Replies
nodename(4)							   File Formats 						       nodename(4)

NAME
nodename - local source for system name SYNOPSIS
/etc/nodename DESCRIPTION
When a machine is standalone or its IP address is configured locally, the /etc/nodename file contains the system name. By convention, the system name is the same as the hostname associated with the IP address of the primary network interface, for example, hostname.hme0. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the RPC bootparams protocol, the /etc/nodename file is not used, as the system name is delivered by the remote service. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the DHCP protocol, the /etc/nodename file is used only if the DHCP server does not provide a value for the Hostname option (DHCP standard option code 12). A system name configured in /etc/nodename should be unique within the system's name service domain in order to ensure that any network ser- vices provided by the system will operate correctly. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Syntax The syntax for nodename consists of a single line containing the system's name. For example, for a system named myhost: myhost ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), uname(1), named(1M), ypbind(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The nodename file is modified by Solaris installation and de-installation scripts. SunOS 5.10 9 Feb 2004 nodename(4)