Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers displaying mutliple fields on command line Post 302143471 by Trellot on Thursday 1st of November 2007 02:26:10 PM
Old 11-01-2007
displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as:

cal -y | awk '{print $2, $3, $4....etc.

I would like to just list 2 trough 6, then 10 through 14, 18 through 22 like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Trellot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the first line?

how do i display just the first line of a file with the cat command or any command for that matter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imuuk
4 Replies

2. Programming

Displaying fields in wtmp file?

Anyone have any idea on how to display the fields for each record stored in the wtmp file using C? Am I correct in thinking that the info stored in wtmp is in binary and that utmpx will be of some help? Being a beginner, I can come up with bits and pieces of what I might need in order to do the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eclapton1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying the path in the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set mutliple words variable from command line

I'm writing a script (C shell) to search for a pattern in file. For example scriptname pattern file1 file2 filenN I use for loop to loop through arguments argv, and it does the job if all arguments are supplied. However if only one argument is supplied (in that case pattern ) it should ask to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patryk44
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print mutliple patterns in a line using sed

Hi, I am trying to print multiple patterns in a line using sed. But it is printing only the last occurance of a pattern. If the line is the the output should be Lookup Procedure|Stored proc But the output I am getting is Stored proc The code I am using is echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar_laveti
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

Displaying command return in one line

Hello all I have a query (SQL) that returns a rather long field from an Oracle database. The field in question is defined on 400 characters but all these 400 cannot be displayed by the echo command. Thus when I launch the following command: echo "SELECT FIELD01 FROM TABLE_NAME;" | sqlplus -s... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing fields of two files and displaying results

Hello , I am trying to compare two files i.e one master file and the other exclusion file. If the second field of masterfile is oracle8 then I need to compare the 3rd field of master file with the 1st field of all the rows of exclusion file else I need to compare 2nd field from master file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to sort two fields and printf not displaying the correct values

Not able to sorting two fileds resolved printf issue 01-1000/9|JAN 01-0000/6|MAN 01-1010/2|JAN 01-1010/2|JAN 01-1010/2|JAN 01-1000/9|JAN 01-1000/9|JAN 01-1000/9|SAA 01-1000/9|SAA 01-0000/6|SAN 01-0000/6|SAN 1.sort -t'|' -k1,1n -k2,2 file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalia4u
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying every other line in an array.

Hi, I have an array, that works well. But, I want to have it display every other line. Like so, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc, etc. Here is the relevant code: I'm sorry for the pastebin link. For some reason, I can't get the code to format properly with the code tags. code tags work fine... everyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
4 Replies
cal(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cal(1)

NAME
cal - Displays a calendar SYNOPSIS
cal [month [year]] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: cal: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Names the month for which you want the calendar. It can be a number between 1 and 12 for January through December, respectively. If month is not specified, cal displays a calendar for the entire year, unless year is also omitted. Names the year for which you want the calen- dar. Because cal can display a calendar for any year from 1 to 9999, enter the full year rather than just the last two digits. If year is not specified, cal uses the current year. If no operands are specified, cal displays a calendar for the current month. DESCRIPTION
The cal command writes to standard output a Gregorian calendar for the specified year or month. For historical reasons, the cal command's Gregorian calendar is discontinuous. The display for September 1752 (cal 9 1752) jumps from Wednesday the 2nd to Thursday the 14th. The cal command checks the LC_TIME environment variable and uses the correct headers for the current locale. If LC_TIME is not set, cal checks the value of LANG. If neither variable is set, you receive English headers. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a calendar for February 1990, enter: cal 2 1990 To display a calendar for the year 84 A.D., enter: cal 84 To display a calendar for the current month, enter: cal ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of *cmd*: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the format and contents of the calendar. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Determines the time zone used to calculate the value of the current month. SEE ALSO
Commands: date(1) Files: locale(4) Standards: standards(5) Command and Shell User's Guide cal(1)