Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers displaying mutliple fields on command line Post 302143471 by Trellot on Thursday 1st of November 2007 02:26:10 PM
Old 11-01-2007
displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as:

cal -y | awk '{print $2, $3, $4....etc.

I would like to just list 2 trough 6, then 10 through 14, 18 through 22 like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Trellot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the first line?

how do i display just the first line of a file with the cat command or any command for that matter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imuuk
4 Replies

2. Programming

Displaying fields in wtmp file?

Anyone have any idea on how to display the fields for each record stored in the wtmp file using C? Am I correct in thinking that the info stored in wtmp is in binary and that utmpx will be of some help? Being a beginner, I can come up with bits and pieces of what I might need in order to do the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eclapton1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying the path in the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set mutliple words variable from command line

I'm writing a script (C shell) to search for a pattern in file. For example scriptname pattern file1 file2 filenN I use for loop to loop through arguments argv, and it does the job if all arguments are supplied. However if only one argument is supplied (in that case pattern ) it should ask to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patryk44
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print mutliple patterns in a line using sed

Hi, I am trying to print multiple patterns in a line using sed. But it is printing only the last occurance of a pattern. If the line is the the output should be Lookup Procedure|Stored proc But the output I am getting is Stored proc The code I am using is echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar_laveti
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

Displaying command return in one line

Hello all I have a query (SQL) that returns a rather long field from an Oracle database. The field in question is defined on 400 characters but all these 400 cannot be displayed by the echo command. Thus when I launch the following command: echo "SELECT FIELD01 FROM TABLE_NAME;" | sqlplus -s... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing fields of two files and displaying results

Hello , I am trying to compare two files i.e one master file and the other exclusion file. If the second field of masterfile is oracle8 then I need to compare the 3rd field of master file with the 1st field of all the rows of exclusion file else I need to compare 2nd field from master file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to sort two fields and printf not displaying the correct values

Not able to sorting two fileds resolved printf issue 01-1000/9|JAN 01-0000/6|MAN 01-1010/2|JAN 01-1010/2|JAN 01-1010/2|JAN 01-1000/9|JAN 01-1000/9|JAN 01-1000/9|SAA 01-1000/9|SAA 01-0000/6|SAN 01-0000/6|SAN 1.sort -t'|' -k1,1n -k2,2 file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalia4u
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying every other line in an array.

Hi, I have an array, that works well. But, I want to have it display every other line. Like so, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc, etc. Here is the relevant code: I'm sorry for the pastebin link. For some reason, I can't get the code to format properly with the code tags. code tags work fine... everyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
4 Replies
CAL(1)                                                      BSD General Commands Manual                                                     CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-31jy] [-A number] [-B number] [-d yyyy-mm] [[month] year] cal [-31j] [-A number] [-B number] [-d yyyy-mm] -m month [year] ncal [-C] [-31jy] [-A number] [-B number] [-d yyyy-mm] [[month] year] ncal [-C] [-31j] [-A number] [-B number] [-d yyyy-mm] -m month [year] ncal [-31bhjJpwySM] [-A number] [-B number] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-31bhJeoSM] [-A number] [-B number] [-d yyyy-mm] [year] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -o option, display date of Orthodox Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, appending 'f' or 'p' displays the same month of the follow- ing or previous year respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. This option is implied when a year but no month are specified on the command line. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -1 Display only the current month. This is the default. -A number Months to add after. The specified number of months is added to the end of the display. This is in addition to any date range selected by the -y, -3, or -1 options. For example, ``cal -y -B2 -A2'' shows everything from November of the previous year to Febru- ary of the following year. Negative numbers are allowed, in which case the specified number of months is subtracted. For example, ``cal -y -B-6'' shows July to December. And ``cal -A11'' simply shows the next 12 months. -B number Months to add before. The specified number of months is added to the beginning of the display. See -A for examples. -C Completely switch to cal mode. For cal like output only, use -b instead. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). -M Weeks start on Monday. -S Weeks start on Sunday. -b Use oldstyle format for ncal output. A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example, the options -y, -3, and -1 are mutually exclusive. If inconsistent options are given, the later ones take precedence over the earlier ones. A year starts on January 1. Highlighting of dates is disabled if stdout is not a tty. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. The output of the cal command is supposed to be bit for bit compatible to the original Unix cal command, because its output is processed by other programs like CGI scripts, that should not be broken. Therefore it will always output 8 lines, even if only 7 contain data. This extra blank line also appears with the original cal command, at least on Solaris 8 AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD March 14, 2009 BSD