Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting create variable name based on another variable's value Post 302143461 by aigles on Thursday 1st of November 2007 12:27:06 PM
Old 11-01-2007
You can do something like that :
Code:
VAR1=COMPUTER1

flag_name=${VAR1}_FLAG
eval ${flag_name}=N
eval flag_value=\$$flag_name

# With Bash

flag_name=${VAR1}_FLAG
eval ${flag_name}='Y'
flag_value=${!flag_name}

Execution output with trace option:
Code:
+ VAR1=COMPUTER1
+ flag_name=COMPUTER1_FLAG
+ eval COMPUTER1_FLAG=N
++ COMPUTER1_FLAG=N
+ eval 'flag_value=$COMPUTER1_FLAG'
++ flag_value=N
+ flag_name=COMPUTER1_FLAG
+ eval COMPUTER1_FLAG=Y
++ COMPUTER1_FLAG=Y
+ flag_value=Y

Jean-Pierre.

Last edited by aigles; 11-01-2007 at 03:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to create variable, value not being held

I tried creating a variable with the awk command. The correct value is being printed to the screen; however, the variable max is not being set. The command "echo $max" is null. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. cat test.txt: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2005-01-12 20:51... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Variable for a PATH

Hello all, I need to create a variable that contains a path to a program. I'd like to reference that variable later in the script to execute the program. Does anyone have any ideas how I can accomplish this? Thanks, Mark :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmignot
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create a new environment variable??

Hi, I have say two programs File1: echo Enter A's Value read A export A File2: while do echo $A sleep 5 done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

4. Programming

how to create variable for all thread in c++

hello I have this code #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <iostream> #include <pthread.h> #include<cstring> using namespace std; int var1=0; void doSomething() { var1 = 5; cout<<"Do S :"<<var1<<endl; sleep(1); var1 =7; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vip_a1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to create files based on a variable name

Hey all, I am parsing a file which have records containing one of a number of files names: ".psd", ".cr2", ".crw" , ".cr", ".xi", ".jpg", ".xif" etc Somewhere on each line there is a value "Namex.psd" "Namex.crw" etc. The position of this name is highly variable I need to output all the ".psd"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: C0ppert0p
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading content of a variable to create a new one?

Hello. I've written up a script, that populates a variable with a list of tapes returned from my library. For example: 701940L3,701941L3,701942L3,701943L3,701944L3,701945L3,701946L3,701947L3,701948L3 So now, the variable "TAPELIST" contains those numbers, delimited by commas. I'd like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to create a list

Hi all, I couldn't find an answer for this easy question, probably because the keywords I used in the search are too generic. I just want to make a list of numbers using the value of a variable, like this: NumFiles=$(ls | wc -l) for i in {1..$NumFiles}; do Say $NumFiles = 5. Bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aquila
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create variable from date

I have a requirement to send a trigger file (trigger_dayn.dat) to a remote server through the FTP trigger_dayn.dat - here the dayn is the day number. However the dayn is not sysdate. day 1 is from Monday 07:00.00 AM to Tuesday 06:59:59 AM and so on. So if the trigger file is generated say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k_vikash
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a Variable based on a Variable

Hi all, I have a source config file with variables like so: eth1_ip=192.168.1.99 eth2_ip=192.168.1.123 eth3_ip=172.16.1.1 I am trying to run a script which loops based on the number of eth interfaces on a machine and therefore modifies the variable it calls in the environment based on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
5 Replies
eval(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  eval(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
eval - Evaluate a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
eval arg ?arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Eval takes one or more arguments, which together comprise a Tcl script containing one or more commands. Eval concatenates all its argu- ments in the same fashion as the concat command, passes the concatenated string to the Tcl interpreter recursively, and returns the result of that evaluation (or any error generated by it). Note that the list command quotes sequences of words in such a way that they are not further expanded by the eval command. EXAMPLE
This procedure acts in a way that is analogous to the lappend command, except it inserts the argument values at the start of the list in the variable: proc lprepend {varName args} { upvar 1 $varName var # Ensure that the variable exists and contains a list lappend var # Now we insert all the arguments in one go set var [eval [list linsert $var 0] $args] } KEYWORDS
concatenate, evaluate, script SEE ALSO
catch(1T), concat(1T), error(1T), list(1T), subst(1T), tclvars(1T) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl eval(1T)