Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unable to open files in VI editor Post 302143256 by joerg on Wednesday 31st of October 2007 09:50:10 AM
Old 10-31-2007
Be sure that you have mounted all file system!
If the /var partition is not mounted you can not open any files with vi!
Best regards joerg

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give permissions to an open file in vi editor?

Hi all, I have a shell script that i started editing, only in the midst of which i tried to save the changes i found that the file wasnt been provided with write/execute permissions. I later have redone the changes and saved the file- Just curious to know if there was any command wherein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getting error when open vi editor

helo I install my product for koren language I m uisng RHEL -4 operating system now problem is whenever I open any file vi filename I got following error on the screen E557: Cannot open termcap file 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_ansi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open file in VI Editor at a specific line?

i have following query e.g i want the VI Editor cursor at line number N instead of 0 while opening the file from unix prompt. vi filename ?????? Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi editor will not open new to UNIX. help please.

vi: syntax error at line 1: `)' unexpected when I try to vi into the /etc/vfstab, the return gives me the above error. how can resolve this so that I can have access into vi. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovestar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is open in editor?

Hi there! I'm developing a program that allows the user to open and edit files using both an editor and the terminal. Once the user has finished editing the file an update is sent to the logbook that compares the file before and after it was edited - this can only be done if the file is closed (I... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: cherryTango
23 Replies
dkio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   dkio(4)

Name
       dkio - disk interface

Syntax
       #include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>

Description
       This  section  describes  the ioctl (input/output controller) codes for all disk drivers.  The basic ioctl (input/output controller) format
       is:

#include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>
       ioctl(fildes, code, arg)
       struct pt *arg;

The applicable codes are:

DIOCGETPT       Indicates to the driver to store the information in the current partition table in the address pointed to by arg.  The file
		       descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions, a or c.

DIOCGETPT does not change the partition table, but it does provide access to the partition table information.

DIOCSETPT       Indicates to the driver to modify the current partition table with the information pointed to by arg.

The file descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions, a or c.

If  the a or c partition is not mounted, only the partition table in the driver is modified.  This temporarily modifies the
		       partition table of the disk.  The modifications are overwritten with the default table when the disk is turned off and on.

If the a or c partition is mounted, both the partition table  in  the  driver  and  the	partition  table  in  the  primary
		       superblock are modified.  This permanently modifies the partition table of the disk.  This is not recommended.  To change a
		       partition table permanently, use the command.

DIOCDGTPT       Indicates to the driver to store the default information of the current partition table in the address pointed to  by  arg.
		       The file descriptor must be opened on the raw partitions a or c.

DIOCGETPT does not change the partition table, but it does provide access to the partition table information.

DKIOCGET        Allows the user to receive generic disk information as defined in structdevget.

DKIOCACC        This code is defined in It is currently unused.

Restrictions
       These restrictions apply when using the DIOCSETPT ioctl code:

o   You must have superuser privileges.

o   You	cannot	shrink	or change the offset of a partition with a file system mounted on it or with an open file descriptor on the entire
	   partition.

o   You cannot change the offset of the a partition.

Examples
       This example shows how to use the DIOGETPT ioctl code to print the length and offset of the a partition of an RZ23 disk:
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <sys/param.h>
       #include <sys/fs.h>
       #include <sys/ioctl.h>

main()
       {
	    struct pt arg;
	    int fd, i;

/* Open the "a" partition of the disk you want to see */

if ( (fd = open("/dev/rz0a",0)) < 0 ) {
		 printf("Unable to open device
");
		 exit(2);
	    }

/* Get the partition information */

if ( ioctl(fd,DIOCGETPT,&arg) < 0 )
		 printf("Error in ioctl
");

printf("Length		Offset
");

for ( i = 0; i <= 7; i++ ) {
		 printf("%d		%d
",arg.pt_part[i].pi_nblocks,
			     arg.pt_part[i].pi_blkoff );
	    }
       }

Files
See Also
       rz(4), disktab(5), fstab(5), chpt(8), diskpart(8), fsck(8), MAKEDEV(8), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)

RISC								   dkio(4)