Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: quick answer
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers quick answer Post 302143096 by rhfrommn on Tuesday 30th of October 2007 11:58:43 AM
Old 10-30-2007
I think you are misunderstanding something fundamental. . . .

Unix is not a program you download and install. It is a whole new OS. So you can't download "Unix for Windows XP" like you said. If you install Unix you won't have Windows XP any more.

You can do a dual boot solution where you can boot your computer to XP or Unix, but not both at the same time.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can any one answer ????

Q.1 Diffrence between terminal and pseudo-terminal ? Q.2 What is terminal login ? What is a netwok Login ? Q.3 What is meant by baud rate of a terminal ? Q.4 which structure is used for job control in Unix/Linux ?and where these structure are means in which directory ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Can anybody answer this.....

Hi i am trying the threads concept in unix environment using C... but i am getting error of "wait_fd: Couldn't find procinfo for fd 24"... what does this error mean..... help me in solving this issue... Thanks in advance shivamasam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Answer them if u can...

Try to answer these questions on Unix: 1.what will be the segment() function do? 2.How Unix is more powerful than Windows? 3.Where ownership details will be stored of a particular file in Unix? 4.State different uses of ^ symbol in regular expressions. 5.What does export command used for?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreambig
5 Replies

4. Programming

How do I get system answer in c

How do I get the answer of a system call that is printed in the terminal? for example: I execute system("pwd"); and get the answer /home/user/ But because I need to send this result to somewhere, I need to store it in a string. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldaran
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me to answer this

Hello everyone I update my question. Thanks for your reply joeyg If I type the last command and send to a text file. I get this last >usuarios.txt root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 22 11:08 still logged in. root pts/0 alopez02 May 22 09:23 - 10:11 (00:47) root pts/0 160.40.35.277 May 20... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can any one please answer these questions

6.nohup cmn is used to Prot execn of pgm frm aborting when hangup s/g is rxd Not hangup modem Disconn a node frm s/m Chng execn prev of pgm .wat is the o/p? Cut -d”” -f3 file1/sort -r Display 3rd col of file 1 in asc order Disp 3rd col of file 1 in desc Not ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techguru
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I welcome all to answer my Q's

Hi everyone,, I am new to the forum...but not to Unix. I have gathered few questions from my mates who attended interviews in various companies as I have to attend one on dec 3rd for Sys admin position. Please respond with the answers you know and also help with various other interview... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: impawan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi, answer format

command is : echo "BACBE03,IS38341," ; cat /home/oaydin/cha/response/gec/stp_BACBE03.txt | grep IS38341 | awk '{print $2}' ; grep -c IS38341 /home/oaydin/cha/response/gec/tx_BACBE03.txt answer is : BACBE03,IS38341, ACTIVE 4 I need format : BACBE03,IS38341,ACTIVE,4 help please (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozcanaydin
7 Replies
RARPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  RARPD(8)

NAME
rarpd - reverse address resolution protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
rarpd [-v] [-i interface ] DESCRIPTION
Rarpd listens on the ethernet for broadcast packets asking for reverse address resolution. These packets are sent by hosts at boot time to find out their IP address. Rarpd looks up the six octet ethernet number in the ethers map finding a host name. This name is translated to the IP address of the host by a DNS lookup. The IP address is then sent to the host. Before rarpd can start its service it first finds out what the IP address and hardware address of the ethernet is. Warning! Sun diskless workstations assume that the first RARP server that answers is the host they are to boot from. For this to work all other Sun RARP servers delay their answer if they are not also the requestors boot server. This rarpd does not have this kludge so it will happily engage the Sun boot server to see who can answer the client first. Unless your host can actually serve a Sun diskless client, it is better not to list any more hosts in the ethers file than necessary. OPTIONS
-v Be verbose. Show requests which the daemon is responding to. -i Bind to the named interface. By default rarpd binds to the default interface for the local system type, if available. SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), ethers(5), hosts(5), AUTHOR
Derrick J. Brashear (shadow@dementia.org) The man page is mostly from the Minix version, by Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) RARPD(8)