Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with shell program
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with shell program Post 302142877 by porter on Tuesday 30th of October 2007 03:02:02 AM
Old 10-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgarg
var=a$i
You'll need to play around with eval or similar to expand what you are trying to do, I'm guessing here, but something like "eval \$a$i"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with this Shell Program

Now, am in a very tight situation here. I really dont expect anyone to understand but please, try your best. am trying to right a program that goes back to the previous entry to correct a mistake. heres what am trying to do. i write a program like this Name : James Holgston... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell Program

Hellow every body I am trying to write a very simple script in an executable file as following if ($?PWD) then echo "OK" else echo "No" endif but I am getting error during execution in c shell as synthax error at line 4 , unexpected end of file Please advise (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

3. Programming

Shell Program

I am programming the following simple shell program. It works for the most part, things like 'ls' and 'ps' work just fine. However when I add options, (example, ls -l) it does not execute the command. Also, I've been trying to add an "exit" command, so that I don't have to use the iterrupt; but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TexasGuy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

How to write a shell script which takes 3 strings as positional parameters,first and second are file names and third is a directory.if the two files exist in `pwd` and they contain a specific pattern and their size is greater than 32 bytes,moves these files into directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

hello, i have problem in awk filter in shell to concatenate two string plz send me a solution as soon as possible from jyoti ardeshana (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotiardeshana
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

very first shell program.

in the beginners book i have it gives an exercise to try. saying to make a script that examines the time. it should keep examining every second or so and say some sort of message. Can anyone help me get going. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

Iam having file 1 as wc -l file1 is 8 QWEERTYUU|7927836357398398398913 yuyuyu uyiuyuyuyuy yuiyuiyuyuyy FDHGFSHAJK|1476887897877777777771 iopwiiwpoi e . . . . I Need to read the abouve line in file1 so iam using the command as tail -n 8... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program , need help!!

Hi all, I am trying to get a file from an ftp server and i have the list of files which needs to be get from the ftp server. grep unix_prg*.* log.txt > log1.txt log1.txt (which has the list of files) 06-29-09 00:00AM 3550258 unix_prg090629 06-28-09 07:00PM ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
7 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell program in C

Hi all, I have an assignment from school to write a shell program in linux. the idea is to exercise fork() and execv() functions.. the shell program is supposed to be the master and every command that the user prints will run in a new process. we also need to try running the command in every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r3vive
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

C shell program

1. I've have to write a shell program that accepts Ctrl+T (in linux os in c language) and should print out the current time and date to the screen. I've written the following code but i've to type ^T individual rather than pressing ctrl+T(^T) to get the output. : 2. How do i make the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro_phu
2 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)