Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to restrict memory usage by a process Post 302142375 by dustytina on Thursday 25th of October 2007 08:26:45 PM
Old 10-25-2007
hey Jim, I seem to fail to run cpio even for root. I get the message ulimit reached. I have tried settin it to no limit but no joy. want to backup to tape eithr from my application or direct from unix but hey....any tips?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

2. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. AIX

How to trace cpu/memory usage for a process

I don't know when the process will start and end, I need write a script to trace it's cpu/memory usage when it is runing. How to write this script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

4. Programming

Memory usage of a process having shared libraries

Hi, I have the following two processes that's built with static libraries. Both the process have many common libraries. -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 152946280 Oct 15 08:38 server1 -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 41633880 Oct 15 08:39 server2. I built these two server processes making all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivatsan_vn
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Memory usage of a process having shared libraries

Hi, I have the following two processes that's built with static libraries. Both the process have many common libraries. -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 152946280 Oct 15 08:38 server1 -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 41633880 Oct 15 08:39 server2. I built these two server processes making all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivatsan_vn
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

collecting memory usage by a process

Hi Guys, I work on a AIX environment and I'm trying to write a script where I can collect all the memory used by a process. Basically I'm executing the command 'ps -fu userid' to get all the process ids and then executing the 'ps v PID' to get all the memory allocated by PPID. My question is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Virtual Memory Usage a Process

Hi all, Is there any command which shows the virtual memory usage of a particular process in HP-UX machine. I have tried with ps, top but could not get what I want. Kindly provide me a solution. Thanks in Advance ARD (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ard
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Process memory usage

hi all gurus: I want to find out Solaris process memory usage, but got a bit confused, see if any one can provide me some guidance. i tend to use prstat -a to get total memory consumption by user (I know prstat likely have a bug that simply sum up the memory, regardless if the memory being... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakville
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5... The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command. I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb. Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value. So I added Shared memory value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Find memory usage for a process

I have multiple oracle databases on one server. All the database are running from the same user i.e. oraent. The process for each database can be distinguished by the ps -ef command Eg : ps -ef | grep oraentThe Output : oraent 5361 1 0 20:58:05 ? 0:00 oracledb1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashreads
11 Replies
vxmemstat(1M)															     vxmemstat(1M)

NAME
vxmemstat - display memory statistics for Veritas Volume Manager SYNOPSIS
vxmemstat [-e] [-i interval [-t count]] DESCRIPTION
The vxmemstat utility prints memory statistics information. This information can be system-wide, or it can be specific to a Veritas Volume Replicator object. OPTIONS
-e Prints extended memory statistics. -i interval Prints memory statistics every interval seconds. -t count Prints the local system time every count intervals. The time interval is specified using the -i interval option. OUTPUT FORMAT
The statistics are prefaced by a timestamp showing the current local time on the system. Statistics are printed as a one-line output record for each memory pool. The records are preceded by two header lines. The output line consists of blank-separated fields. All numeric fields are in units of kilobytes. The following fields are displayed on each line: Pool Name of the memory pool. Memory consumers allocate memory from different pools for different purposes. DG Name of the disk group in which the RVG is present. Min Size Minimum amount of memory always reserved for use by consumers of the pool. As consumers require more memory, additional memory is allocated to the pool for distribution to them. Max Size Maximum amount of memory that can be allocated to the pool. This is equal to the value assigned to the maximum pool size system tunable that corresponds to the pool. In Use Amount of memory (out of that allocated) currently being used by consumers of the memory pool. Allocated Amount of memory currently allocated to the memory pool. The amount of memory allocated to a pool ranges between the minimum and the maximum pool size. The amount of allocated memory increases as more memory is needed and decreases as it is relinquished. Max Used Maximum amount of memory used by consumers from this pool since system startup. This field is not shown if the -e option is specified. Max Pool Used Maximum amount of memory used by consumers from this pool at any time since the last reboot. The value shows the maximum usage even if usage by the pool has varied over this time period. This field is shown if the -e option is specified. Waiting Indicates if any I/O is waiting to allocate memory from this pool. This usually indicates that the corresponding tunable for the maximum size of this pool needs to be increased. This field is not shown if the -e option is specified. Waiters The number of requests that are waiting to allocate memory from this pool. This field is shown if the -e option is specified. EXIT CODES
The vxmemstat utility exits with a non-zero status if the attempted operation fails. A non-zero exit code is not a complete indicator of the problems encountered, but rather denotes the first condition that prevented further execution of the utility. See vxintro(1M) for a list of standard exit codes. EXAMPLES
To display statistics every 5 seconds and time stamp the output every alternate interval, use the command: vxmemstat -i 5 -t 2 SEE ALSO
vxintro(1M), vxstat(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxmemstat(1M)