Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX NIM From Linux Machine - Is it real? Post 302142365 by dmor on Thursday 25th of October 2007 06:18:23 PM
Old 10-25-2007
NIM From Linux Machine - Is it real?

Hello!
My name is Daniel, and I have a "hard" question.

I have 8 pSeries old servers, that I need to install from scratch every month - The OS version is AIX 5L 5.2

I have mksysb images of this computers (same image to all - same hardware), and I know that I can use NIM for this kind of task.

I never installed NIM, and it sound really hard, let me now, is there any way to install the NIM server on Linux machine? Google, and link in IBM said yes, but I didn't understand all the "photo"...

The Linux server, must be IBM server?

Any help / manuals / clues will be helpfull!

Thanks,

Daniel.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

2. AIX

Linux install from NIM

Has anyone ever done this and is it easy to do with SLES9/10? All I can find so far is this link http://www-941.ibm.com/collaboration/wiki/display/Wikip5/16Jan07+Using+NIM+to+Install+VIO+and+Linux Can you still use all the feature of autoyast etc? TIA. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: backslash
1 Replies

3. AIX

How to backup and restore Linux uisng NIM.

Hi Friends, I've a hard question to ask. I have a NIM server running on AIX 5.3. Now my requirement is that , " From This NIM Server i would like to take the Image of Linux servers ". I mean that using NIM server i should be able to backup / restore the linux Servers. In Simple terms... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdkumarj
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH into a linux machine from a windows machine

I basically want to login into different linux machines( on the same network) from a windows machine. I know i can use ssh <machine name>. But i want to automate this process. I dont want to enter the username and password. Is there any way to do it. Can i make some sort of a batch script for it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
4 Replies

5. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

6. AIX

LINUX in NIM

Hi Guys, Its me back with a new query. I got a P 595 without a CDROM, I have to do all the installation via NIM only.. I already got 2 LPAR's up and running. Now that I have request to install Linux in one LPAR.:confused: Can you help me how I can do it using NIM / via Kick start or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

8. AIX

find nim server of a machine

Hi, i would like to know how can i find , in a client machine , the nim server. the nim server that this machine have , if the machine have it Thanks :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Real Time processes in Linux

I was trying to experiment with SCHED_RR and SCHED_FIFO. I tried benchmarking the SCHED_NORMAL with these two real time priorities. What I found is strange result. SHED_RR was the slowest then comes SCHED_FIFO and SCHED_NORMAL was the fastest one. All tests are run in same situation and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
3 Replies

10. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies
LINUX(4)                                                   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                   LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD February 8, 2010 BSD