Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming When I am writing my own interpreter... Post 302142349 by porter on Thursday 25th of October 2007 04:08:52 PM
Old 10-25-2007
pipes are implemented in the kernel and can be efficiently implemented as a ring buffer of say 512 to 4096 bytes. A write adds to the buffer, but if it attempts to write more, it blocks until the buffer has had some data read out. Similarly a read will block until more data is available.

Normally a pipe() is unidirectional but on some platforms a pipe() is actually implemented using socketpair(AF_UNIX,SOCK_STREAM,0);

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

an command interpreter

if somebody can help me pls. i need the source code for a shell which compiles C or java programs. i need a very short and simple one, just for the compiling part, in UNIX Respect (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlatan005
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

m4 as script interpreter

#!/usr/bin/m4 when running m4 scripts with "#!/usr/bin/m4" they are executed properly, but "#!/usr/bin/m4" is printed out - how to avoid it? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
5 Replies

3. Programming

Java Interpreter

Hello guys - do you have any sample program implementing UNIX commands in an interpreter with Java? I can look up the simple ones such "ls" etc and then write my own commands. I would appreciate it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple interpreter declarations

Hi, I am writing a shell script that connects to a remote server and performs some tasks on the server and exits. Since i am using a ssh connection, i am using a "expect" utility to supply the password automatically (which is present within the script). In order to use this utility, i need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Interpreter

Hi. My name is Caleb (a.k.a RagingNinja) form the whited00r forums. (Whited00r makes custom firmware for iOS devices). I have been learning and creating simple shells scripts. I have been recently using VIM for Windows or using VirtualBox to run the UBUNTU OS within VirtualBox to create my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RagingNinja
2 Replies

6. Linux

interpreter files

Can you explain me what is ment by interpreter files ?? Why and how they are used?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically choosing the interpreter

Hi, Is it possible to choose the inerpreter conditionally. For example, if whereis bash returns /usr/bin/bash then i need to choose #!/usr/bin/bash else i need to use #!/usr/bin/sh. Is it possible to achieve in a shell script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess communication channel SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]) DESCRIPTION
The pipe system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe. The file descriptors returned can be used in read and write operations. When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1] up to PIPE_MAX bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended. A read using the descriptor fildes[0] will pick up the data. PIPE_MAX equals 7168 under Minix, but note that most systems use 4096. It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent fork calls) will pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes. Read calls on an empty pipe (no buffered data) with only one end (all write file descriptors closed) returns an end-of-file. The signal SIGPIPE is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted. RETURN VALUE
The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred. ERRORS
The pipe call will fail if: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOSPC] The pipe file system (usually the root file system) has no free inodes. [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2). NOTES
Writes may return ENOSPC errors if no pipe data can be buffered, because the pipe file system is full. BUGS
Should more than PIPE_MAX bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock will occur. 4th Berkeley Distribution August 26, 1985 PIPE(2)