Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Extend a Filesystem with other LV Post 302142202 by bakunin on Thursday 25th of October 2007 03:43:35 AM
Old 10-25-2007
@porter: c'mon! This is not an answer, this is a zero-message. He asks if it is possible and you tell him to use SMIT?? SMIT is a frontend, nothing more, if it is possible, it is possible regardless of using SMIT or not and if it isn't it will be impossible, again reagardless of using SMIT or not.

This is not the first time i see you giving such non-answers. Are you posthunting?

@Threadstarter: no, that is not possible. LVs (Logical Volumes) belong to a certain VG (Volume Group). A VG is a logical construct which combines several PVs (Physical Volumes: pyhsical disks, RAID volumes, SAN-shares, etc.) to one manageable entity. The disks are split into (more or less anonymized) parts (the "Physical Partition", PP) and given to a pool which can be assigned to the LVs in the VG. Most of the times LVs contain (exactly one) FS, but LVs could also host a swapspace, a boot partition, and some other things (you could even decide to use it as a raw device although this makes no sense any more nowadays), but save for these you could use "LV" and "FS" interchangeably - most of your logical volumes contain a filesystem.

Usually VGs are used for a group of LVs which are somehow logically connected. For instance, if you have several database instances on one machine it might be a good idea to create a VG for every instance. In every of these VGs you would have one FS (LV) for the binaries, one for the logs, one for the tablespaces, etc.

So the only reason why you would want to transfer a filesystem from one VG to another would be space considerations. In this case it is better to:

add more PPs to the LV if there are enough left in the pool (use lsvg <VGName> to check). dont forget to expand the filesystem after resizing the LV, it is not done automatically. Do the following:

get the PP size to find out how many PPs you will have to add to expand the LV for a certain size. (lsvg <VGName>) Get the name of the LV as you have perhaps only the mountpoint of the corresponding filesystem (lsvg -l <VGName>). Now calculate how much this is in 512-byte-blocks. Use chfs to expand the filesystem accordingly (chfs -a size=+<NrOfBlocks> <mountpoint>). You can do that without umounting the FS, your application using the FS won't even notice it.

For example: The PP size is 128MB and you want to add 2GB to the LV mytestlv mounted on /my/testlv. You will have to add 16 PPs. (I won't explain possible considerations about mirroring here.) Issue

extendlv mytestlv 16

Now calculate how much this is in 512-byte-blocks: 2*1024*1024*2=4194304

chfs -a size=+4194304 /my/testlv

If this is not possible because the pool of free PPs is exhausted add a new physical volume to the colume group (up to a maximum of 32)

If this is still not possible it is better to reorganize the volumegroup as a whole, using a bigger PP size (since PVs are limited to 1019 PPs the PP size determines the maximum size of the PVs used), use different storage, etc. and recreate all the LVs on the VG.

Oh, besides: you could do all that with SMIT too if you like.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

how can I extend /usr filesystem

How can extend /usr filesystem in hp-ux 11.11 (I'm not using online JFS) ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedro_lezaeta
0 Replies

2. Solaris

How to extend a filesystem

I am running solaris 10 with Veritas. I want to extend a filesystem. It's an oracle partition (/ora12). How can I find out if there is space available to expand the filesystem and then how does one extend it. I'm from the HPUX world and so LVM was always how I did things. Thanks jackie (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackiebaron
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to extend a filesystem??

OK I'm sure this question has been posed far too many times. I have solaris 10 x86 with NO Veritas or Disksuite filesystems. Below is the output of df -k # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on / 10485760 547513 9317128 6% / /dev... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiebaron
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

5. Solaris

I need expand or extend a filesystem dfsk.

Hello I need to expand a filesystem is full, but I understand that for this I need a volume manager like SVM or Veritas. I have installed solaris 10 but I give it a metastat and tells me there is no database, as if the installation does not have the sudmirrors attachments. The filesystem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cata
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

7. AIX

choosing correct VG for Filesystem extend

Hi Gurus, I have Aix 5.3 server and would like to extend the following filesystem. Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/lv_mecdr 120.00 12.04 90% 560973 14% /home/mecdrBut there's only 16G for the VG, may be i can expand it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
11 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

9. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Extend zfs storage filesystem

Hello, Need to ask the question regarding extending the zfs storage file system. currently after using the command, df -kh u01-data-pool/data 600G 552 48G 93% /data /data are only 48 gb remaining and it has occupied 93% for total storage. zpool u01-data-pool has more then 200 gb... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahzad53
14 Replies
Sys::Filesystem::Darwin(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Sys::Filesystem::Darwin(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Filesystem::Darwin - Return Darwin (Mac OS X) filesystem information to Sys::Filesystem SYNOPSIS
See Sys::Filesystem. DESCRIPTION
The filesystem information is taken from diskutil, the system utility supplied on Mac OS X. INHERITANCE
Sys::Filesystem::Darwin ISA Sys::Filesystem::Unix ISA UNIVERSAL METHODS
version () Return the version of the (sub)module. ATTRIBUTES
The following is a list of filesystem properties which may be queried as methods through the parent Sys::Filesystem object. The property 'label' is also set, but cannot be queried by Sys::Filesystem yet. mount_point The mount point (usually either '/' or '/Volumes/...'). device The mounted device format Describes the type of the filesystem. So far I encountered the following types: hfs The standard Mac OS X HFS(+) filesystem. Disk images (.dmg) and Mac Software DVDs normally also use the HFS(+) format. msdos DOS image files (e.g. floppy disk images) cd9660 CD-ROM image files or real CD-ROMs cddafs Audio CDs udf UDF filesystem (e.g. DVDs) (empty) For mounted FTP servers, disktool returns an empty filesystem type (ie, ''). BUGS
Doesn't take /etc/fstab or /etc/xtab into account right now, since they are normally not used. Contact the author if you need this. SEE ALSO
Sys::Filesystem, diskutil VERSION
$Id: Darwin.pm 128 2010-05-12 13:16:44Z trevor $ AUTHOR
Christian Renz <crenz@web42.com> Jens Rehsack <rehsack@cpan.org> - <http://www.rehsack.de/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004,2005,2006 Nicola Worthington. Copyright 2009,2010 Jens Rehsack. This software is licensed under The Apache Software License, Version 2.0. <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> perl v5.10.1 2010-05-18 Sys::Filesystem::Darwin(3pm)