Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming When I am writing my own interpreter... Post 302142174 by Legend986 on Wednesday 24th of October 2007 11:01:06 PM
Old 10-25-2007
Hmm... I seem to be doing something wrong. Here's what I've been doing...

Code:
I'm creating a filedescriptor fd[2]
fork child1
if(pid1 == 0) {
        close(fd[1]); 
        setting fd[0] to STDIN_FILENO using dup2
         close(fd[0]);
        }
        execlp("wc","wc",(char *) 0);
    }
    else {
        fork child 2
        if(pid2 == 0) {
               close(fd[1]);  
               set fd[0] to STDIN_FILENO using dup2
               close(fd[0]);
               set fd[1] to STDOUT_FILENO using dup2
               close(fd[1]);
               execlp("wc","wc", (char *) 0);
        }
        else {
            //parent continues
            fork child 3
            if(pid3 == 0) {
                    close(fd[0]);
                    set fd[1] to STDOUT_FILENO using dup2
                    close(fd[1])
                    execlp("ls","-la", (char *) 0);
            }
        }

What I'm trying to do here is creating a two level pipe for the command: ls -la | wc | wc

It works upto one level but after that I'm getting an "dup2: Bad File Descriptor" error maybe because of the child 2... I'm not sure what mistake I'm doing... Any suggestions on how to get around this one?

Last edited by Legend986; 10-25-2007 at 12:08 AM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

an command interpreter

if somebody can help me pls. i need the source code for a shell which compiles C or java programs. i need a very short and simple one, just for the compiling part, in UNIX Respect (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlatan005
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

m4 as script interpreter

#!/usr/bin/m4 when running m4 scripts with "#!/usr/bin/m4" they are executed properly, but "#!/usr/bin/m4" is printed out - how to avoid it? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
5 Replies

3. Programming

Java Interpreter

Hello guys - do you have any sample program implementing UNIX commands in an interpreter with Java? I can look up the simple ones such "ls" etc and then write my own commands. I would appreciate it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple interpreter declarations

Hi, I am writing a shell script that connects to a remote server and performs some tasks on the server and exits. Since i am using a ssh connection, i am using a "expect" utility to supply the password automatically (which is present within the script). In order to use this utility, i need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Interpreter

Hi. My name is Caleb (a.k.a RagingNinja) form the whited00r forums. (Whited00r makes custom firmware for iOS devices). I have been learning and creating simple shells scripts. I have been recently using VIM for Windows or using VirtualBox to run the UBUNTU OS within VirtualBox to create my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RagingNinja
2 Replies

6. Linux

interpreter files

Can you explain me what is ment by interpreter files ?? Why and how they are used?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically choosing the interpreter

Hi, Is it possible to choose the inerpreter conditionally. For example, if whereis bash returns /usr/bin/bash then i need to choose #!/usr/bin/bash else i need to use #!/usr/bin/sh. Is it possible to achieve in a shell script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies
CLOSE(2)							System Calls Manual							  CLOSE(2)

NAME
close - delete a descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int close(int d) DESCRIPTION
The close call deletes a descriptor from the per-process object reference table. If this is the last reference to the underlying object, then it will be deactivated. For example, on the last close of a file the current seek pointer associated with the file is lost; on the last close of a TCP/IP descriptor associated naming information and queued data are discarded; on the last close of a file holding an advi- sory lock the lock is released (see further fcntl(2)). A close of all of a process's descriptors is automatic on exit, but since there is a limit on the number of active descriptors per process, close is necessary for programs that deal with many descriptors. When a process forks (see fork(2)), all descriptors for the new child process reference the same objects as they did in the parent before the fork. If a new process is then to be run using execve(2), the process would normally inherit these descriptors. Most of the descrip- tors can be rearranged with dup2(2) or deleted with close before the execve is attempted, but if some of these descriptors will still be needed if the execve fails, it is necessary to arrange for them to be closed if the execve succeeds. For this reason, the call ``fcntl(d, F_SETFD, flags)'' is provided, that can be used to mark a descriptor "close on exec" by setting the FD_CLOEXEC flag: fcntl(d, F_SETFD, fcntl(d, F_GETFD) | FD_CLOEXEC); RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the global integer variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Close will fail if: [EBADF] D is not an active descriptor. SEE ALSO
open(2), pipe(2), execve(2), fcntl(2). 4th Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 CLOSE(2)