Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers append space to a varaible using sed Post 302142065 by Yogesh Sawant on Wednesday 24th of October 2007 06:49:49 AM
Old 10-24-2007
Try this:
Code:
var1=abcdef
i=0
while [ $i -lt 100 ]
do
var1="${var1} "
i=`expr $i + 1`
done

After running this loop, if I type echo $var1 or even echo =${var1}= I don't see hundred spaces, but I see them in the value of var1 using set command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

append to fle using sed

Hello , I have the folloiwing command : sed -n "$var,$final w $destfile" $sourcefile where : $var - $final represent the range of line numbers to be written in $destfile However I require this command to work in a loop for which i need the sed command to keep appending the output to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

append blank space

Hi, I would like to add blank space for fixed length(50) if length of string <30. Scenario: File Size AAA.CSV 123 BB.CSV 134 Expected: File Size AAA.CSV 123 BB.CSV 134 I want append blank space until 30 character. Thanks and Regards, HAA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HAA
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append using sed

Hello all, I want to use sed to append a variable stored in $i, how do i do that? $i contains a path to a directory and i want to append it before the result i get from awk statement, before affecting awk results. rite now out put i get from code below is:- The path is:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append in first column

hi, anyone can give a sample command on sed. the text file date list belows; test.txt "a","bbb",123 "b","ccc",234 "c","eee",456 output i need to add these word "xxx" "xxx","a","bbb",123 "xxx","b","ccc",234 "xxx" ,"c","eee",456 thanks in advance, FSP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append words

Hi all, I have a file like one two three for five six seven eight ..... Actually i need to append a label to the words that belong to the 2 column and get: one two_label three for five six_label seven eight .... I was trying with sed inside vim but I can't figure out... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append to string

I am trying to replace in multiple files every instance of text that begins with http and add hyperlink characters to it. I can get it to work with the following:sed -e "s/http*.*/<a href=\"&\">&<\/a>/g" * as long as the http text is at the end of the file. I need it to stop at the end of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append without using new line

im trying to append to the end of the line using sed but I want to do it without creating a new line the text to which I want to append is all in capital letters. I want to do something like this: LINE]Foo but when I do this: //a\ ] Foo it prints foo on a new line: LINE ]Foo ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrjavoman
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable value with sed

I have a requirement where I need to add a variable value based on a pattern match. When I try this it works: sed '/IS_ETL_DEV/a\ ABCD' File1.txt > File1.tmp Now I want to replace IS _ETL_DEV with a variable like $Pattern and replace the values ABCD with a variable $Var the value "$$XYZ=1".... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To flat file, append null or space if its length is less than 10

Hi, We receive flat files with fixed width data Now our goal is append from right null or space to each record if the lenght of the record is less than for example 10. for example 123 45 6 0 123 45 123 45 6 123 and output should be 123 45 6 0 123 45**** 123 45 6**... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shharrath
7 Replies

10. Solaris

Passing a varaible to sed issue

I am unable to make it work. I tried dbl quotes ...etc. Nothing works. I am trying to replace value in an XML file to current system date/time. Here is my code: NTIMESTAMP=`date '+%m%d%Y%H%M%S'` sed -e 's|<TIMESTAMP>\{1,\}|<TIMESTAMP>$NTIMESTAMP|g' $QLOG Input data sample: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
5 Replies
VAR_EXPORT(3)								 1							     VAR_EXPORT(3)

var_export - Outputs or returns a parsable string representation of a variable

SYNOPSIS
mixed var_export (mixed $expression, [bool $return = false]) DESCRIPTION
var_export(3) gets structured information about the given variable. It is similar to var_dump(3) with one exception: the returned represen- tation is valid PHP code. PARAMETERS
o $expression - The variable you want to export. o $return - If used and set to TRUE, var_export(3) will return the variable representation instead of outputting it. RETURN VALUES
Returns the variable representation when the $return parameter is used and evaluates to TRUE. Otherwise, this function will return NULL. NOTES
Note When the $return parameter is used, this function uses internal output buffering so it cannot be used inside an ob_start(3) callback function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Possibility to export classes and arrays con- | | | taining classes using the __set_state() magic | | | method. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 var_export(3) Examples <?php $a = array (1, 2, array ("a", "b", "c")); var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: array ( 0 => 1, 1 => 2, 2 => array ( 0 => 'a', 1 => 'b', 2 => 'c', ), ) <?php $b = 3.1; $v = var_export($b, true); echo $v; ?> The above example will output: 3.1 Example #2 Exporting classes since PHP 5.1.0 <?php class A { public $var; } $a = new A; $a->var = 5; var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: A::__set_state(array( 'var' => 5, )) Example #3 Using __set_state() (since PHP 5.1.0) <?php class A { public $var1; public $var2; public static function __set_state($an_array) { $obj = new A; $obj->var1 = $an_array['var1']; $obj->var2 = $an_array['var2']; return $obj; } } $a = new A; $a->var1 = 5; $a->var2 = 'foo'; eval('$b = ' . var_export($a, true) . ';'); // $b = A::__set_state(array( // 'var1' => 5, // 'var2' => 'foo', // )); var_dump($b); ?> The above example will output: object(A)#2 (2) { ["var1"]=> int(5) ["var2"]=> string(3) "foo" } NOTES
Note Variables of type resource couldn't be exported by this function. Note var_export(3) does not handle circular references as it would be close to impossible to generate parsable PHP code for that. If you want to do something with the full representation of an array or object, use serialize(3). Warning When var_export(3) exports objects, the leading backslash is not included in the class name of namespaced classes for maximum com- patibility. SEE ALSO
print_r(3), serialize(3), var_dump(3). PHP Documentation Group VAR_EXPORT(3)