Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing argumnets from shell script to sql Post 302142045 by bakunin on Wednesday 24th of October 2007 04:38:14 AM
Old 10-24-2007
Your commandline arguments show up in the script as "$1", "$2", etc. If you have more than 9 arguments ($1..$9) you must use "shift" to get all of them.

There is also a special variable "$#", which holds the number of passed arguments and "$*" which holds all passed arguments.

shift will make $9 to $8, ..., $2 to $1 and lose the previous content of $1. $9 which is freed this way will hold the 10th passed argument if there is one.

Here is a little demonstration script to show you the mechanism:

Code:
call the following script with different numbers of arguments:

script.sh a b c d
script.sh "a b" c d e f g h
etc.

#! /bin/ksh

typeset    chArg1=""     # a normal variable

print - "The number of commandline arguments was: $#"
print - "all arguments: $*"

chArg1="$1"             # store the first argument in chArg1

print - "you can transfer the arguments to normal variables:"
print - "the first argument directly: $1"
print - "and here the content of chArg1: $chArg1"

print - "we now see the shift-command in action"

while [ $# -gt 0 ] ; do
     print - "Next argument..: $1"
     print - "all arguments...: $*"
     print - "Nr of arguments.: $#"
     print - "------------"
     shift
done

exit 0

With these mechanisms you should be able to not only put your arguments into your SQL-Statements, but also validate your script to recognize too few/too many or syntaktically wrong arguments.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Passing variables to sql from batch shell in linux

Hi, I need to put this command in a batch shell. sqlplus -s user/password @test.sql and in the test.sql I have this command select * from pbempl where pebempl_id = $1; How I can pass the variable $1 from the batch shell??? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama71
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing PL/SQL variable value to Shell Varible

Hi my UNIX Friends, Im calling some SQL scripts through Unix Shell scripting. How do I export the value of PL/SQL variable value into a Unix shell script variable? Also could any one inform me about the 'search' and 'cut' utility of PL/SQL (like 'grep' and 'cut' in Shell scripting). ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameter from Shell-script to Sql-script

Dear Friends, Please help me to achieve the following: I want to pass one parameter from Shell-script to Sql-script. Example: My ShellScript.sh is calling report.sql like this: /bin/sqlplus /reports.sql And My report.sql is calling many Stored-Procedures like this: exec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: subodhbansal
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing values from sql to shell script

Hi guyz, Posting a thread after a long time. I want to pass two variables to unix shell script from sql script. Note: I am calling sql script from unix script. sql script has 2 variables one is the return code for status of program run and second one email flag. I don't know how to capture... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Passing sql query for a script

Unix prompt ========= echo "Enter the query" read q ========== User has entered : SELECT * FROM employee ===================== Now the problem starts.. echo $q Output: SELECT "all files names in the PWD" FROM employee ================================================ ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to sql script

Hi Gurus, i have one requirement in unix script, i have a file called abc.txt in that few lines are there with the empid, i need to read each line and pass to .sql script. ex: abc.txt 2345 2346 1243 1234 i need to pass these arguments to .sql script rom unix ex: select * from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devendar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in passing multiple arguments from a shell script to a pl/sql block

Hi, hope everyone are fine. Please find my issue below, and I request your help in the same In a configuration file, i have a variable defined as below TEST = 'One','Two','Three' I am trying to pass this variable in to a sql script which is define in a pl/sql block as follows, In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing filename dynamically in SPOOL of SQL*PLUS in shell script

Hi all, I am executing shell script in which I am using SQLLDR In this SQLLDR I am passing text file having PL/SQL script. This script will produce some formated output, this output I have to spool in another text file. Currently I have given this in script file as following Spool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the result of an anonymous pl/sql block to a shell script

Hello, Here is the code i have written to get the count of a plsql query back to the unix. function checkforCOIDs { countcheck=`sqlplus -s $1/$2@$3 whenever oserror exit sql.oscode rollback whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode rollback set serverout on size 2000; set head off feedback off... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2eee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string from SQL to a BASH script

OS Solaris 10, DB oracle 10g Hello, We currently have a BASH script that runs and moves image files from a remote server to the local db server. A snippet of the code shows that we are picking up all Images that are 'mtime -1' some code... for file in `ssh user@10.200.200.10 'find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonP
3 Replies
rt-shredder(8)						     Request Tracker Reference						    rt-shredder(8)

NAME
rt-shredder - Script which wipes out tickets from RT DB SYNOPSIS
rt-shredder --plugin list rt-shredder --plugin help-Tickets rt-shredder --plugin 'Tickets=query,Queue="general" and Status="deleted"' rt-shredder --sqldump unshred.sql --plugin ... rt-shredder --force --plugin ... DESCRIPTION
rt-shredder - is script that allow you to wipe out objects from RT DB. This script uses API that RT::Shredder module adds to RT. Script can be used as example of usage of the shredder API. USAGE
You can use several options to control which objects script should wipeout. OPTIONS
--sqldump <filename> Outputs INSERT queries into file. This dump can be used to restore data after wiping out. By default creates files <RT_home>/var/data/RT-Shredder/<ISO_date>-XXXX.sql --object (DEPRECATED) Option has been deprecated, use plugin "Objects" instead. --plugin '<plugin name>[=<arg>,<val>[;<arg>,<val>]...]' You can use plugins to select RT objects with various conditions. See also --plugin list and --plugin help options. --plugin list Output list of the available plugins. --plugin help-<plugin name> Outputs help for specified plugin. --force Script doesn't ask any questions. SEE ALSO
RT::Shredder perl v5.14.2 2013-05-22 rt-shredder(8)