Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird scenario with Awk
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Weird scenario with Awk Post 302141921 by Khoomfire on Tuesday 23rd of October 2007 11:38:53 AM
Old 10-23-2007
Weird scenario with Awk

Guys, this one is rather odd. I've got an array of numbers, and I'm trying to select only the records with the string "Random" in the 4th column. I'm using awk in this format:

awk '{ if (( $6 -eq Random )) print $0 }'

For some odd reason, this is simply giving me the list of all the entries in my file. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Khoom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird Awk issue

Hi All, a bit of a weird one here. I'm trying to pass a variable into an awk command, and I keep getting an error. I have the line nawk -F"," -v red=$random_variable '{print $red}' $w_dir/$file_name > $w_dir/${column_name} that keeps failing with the error nawk: can't open file {print... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, sed, grep...weird style

my desired output is like this: so the thing is, I only need to show every of this part out but the frequency of that data is not fixed, so sometimes it may have 4 lines, or 6 lines or whatever in that file. However, the last line will always have empty space/line below it. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Interpretation by Awk

Hi, I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I am messing up some logic here. The input file is something like this: *___String Type A Here___String Type B Here___123 *___ ___String Type B Here___123 *___ ___String Type B Here___123 *___ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to implement scenario?

hi, i am having three files which is having following data file1: field1 field2 field3 1 A B 2 C D 3 E F file2: 4 G H 1 I J 5 K L file3: 4 M N (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print behavior weird

Hi Experts I am facing a weird issue while using print statement in awk. I have a text file with 3 fields shown below: # cat f1 234,abc,1000 235,efg,2000 236,jih,3000 # When I print the third column alone, I dont face any issue as shown below: # awk '{print $3 }' FS=, f1 1000 2000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk weird problem.

awk 'BEGIN{print 1.2.3.4}' 1.20.30.4 Can anyone explain why has extra "0" in the IP address? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help in below scenario

Hi, my file has the data like below: 11,231,ABCVAV 22,AAHJHAj22,hdsjkhdls 22,dhskjhdkshd 22,gdgkdkadh 11,232,dgsjgdjh 22,ghdskahdkja 22,shdkajshs 11,233,ddjs 22,dhjkahkd 22,hsajhaah 11,231,sjkjsjj 22,ahkh 22,hsakh From the above i need only the records which starts as 11,231... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk related question (for loop) difficult scenario

VARA='hello|welcome|gone|fantastic|superb|nicecar' if VARA contains a pipe "|", i want the contents of VARA to be tranformed to: VARA="(hello) (welcome) (gone) (fantastic) (superb) (nicecar)" so that, when i echo the contents of $VARA like this: echo "$VARA" or like this: print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird awk problem

Hi, I have a simple awk script: BEGIN{} { $a=$2-$1; print $a } END{if(NR==0){ print "0" } } to which I provide the following input 2.9 14 22.2 27 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk weird error

Here is the awk code i wrote : if ; then gawk -v field_position="$field_position" -v field_length="$field_length" -v header="$header" -v trailer="$trailer" -v lr="$lr" '{ if(NR==1&&header=="1") { next } if(NR==lr&&trailer=="1") { next }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
1 Replies
Crypt::Random::Source::Base(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Crypt::Random::Source::Base(3pm)

NAME
Crypt::Random::Source::Base - Abstract base class for Crypt::Random::Source classes SYNOPSIS
use Moose; extends qw(Crypt::Random::Source::Base); DESCRIPTION
This is an abstract base class. In the future it will be a role. METHODS
get $n, %args Gets $n random bytes and returns them as a string. This method may produce fatal errors if the source was unable to provide enough data. read $buf, $n, [ $off ] This method is cannibalized from IO::Scalar. It provides an IO::Handle work-alike. Note that subclasses override this to operate on a real handle directly if available. seed @stuff On supporting sources this method will add @stuff, whatever it may be, to the random seed. Some sources may not support this, so be careful. available This is a class method, such that when it returns true calling "new" without arguments on the class should provide a working source of random data. This is use by Crypt::Random::Source::Factory. rank This is a class method, with some futz value for a ranking, to help known good sources be tried before known bad (slower, less available) sources. get_data %Params Provided for compatibility with Crypt::Random AUTHOR
Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch@woobling.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2011 by Yuval Kogman. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-01-05 Crypt::Random::Source::Base(3pm)