Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Login Process takes longer
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Login Process takes longer Post 302141711 by panchpan on Monday 22nd of October 2007 04:10:14 AM
Old 10-22-2007
I have learnt that few days back the DNS team has removed the DNS Servers. And the IP mentioned in /etc/resolv.conf does not exist anymore.

Do you think, that has caused the issue?
Which all places do you suggest to modify DNS new IP on UNIX?
After modification, does a server reboot require or any command to be supplied after modifications to have new DNS activated on each UNIX box?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process that takes too long

Hello, I have a C program that takes anywhere from 5 to 100 arguments and I'd like to run it from a script that makes sure it doesnt take too long to execute. If the C program takes more than 5 seconds to execute, i would like the shell script to kill it and return a short message to the user. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WeezelDs
3 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Can no longer login.

I registered last week, received the emails and activated my account. It worked splendidly. Today, I logged in, performed a search, then was prompted to login each time I moved to the next page in the search results. I requested and received a new password but UNIX.com thanks me for logging... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebigm
0 Replies

3. Linux

it takes long time to login on server

Hi, I am trying to login using ssh on Red Hat Linux 5 server, The password appears immediately but after I enter the password it takes about 90 seconds to login completely. Please suggest what changes require? Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Syb15 Query takes longer, help me out

When i run the below query in syb15 (with syb 12.5.X backward compatibilty) environment it runs 45min where as the same in syb12.5.1 it takes only 7-10min. But the main thing is stld_date(in the below query) does not covered in the index of that table. Also main_table is a huge table. So is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prsam
1 Replies

5. Programming

select() system call takes longer than the timeout specified

Below is my code. Every once in a while the select call takes as long as 150 seconds (discovered by printing time before and after this statement) while the timeout specified into it is only 1 second. Any clue why? I can't believe that select call which has been around for centuries can have a bug,... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_as_a_fossil
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor the process system when a process from user takes longer than 15 min run.

get email notification from from system when a process from XXXX user takes longer than 15 min run.Let me know the time estimation for the same. hi ,any one please tell me , how to write a script to get email notification from system when a process from as mentioned above a xxxx user takes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankrishna3
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Password process takes a long time

We are running unix. After a reboot of the server we have found that changing password takes a long time. if type in passwd "username" you can type in the 1st instance of the password , press enter , then it will wait for about 3 minutes before bringing up the confirm password line typing it in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlewis
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Login takes 44secs to 50secs

Hi, Anyone can help me, I have 10 servers all was Solaris 10 installed. The 9 servers was so fast ounce you login. But only 1 server will take 44secs to 55secs to login. I check all the hardware side it was ok. I'm using ssh, putty, ftp and telnet to login. Can you please me for any work... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
11 Replies

9. Red Hat

Login to server takes time

When I am trying to login to a server using Putty ssh from my windows xp machine it is taking too much time for login. My server name is http2 and when I enter this address into putty I immediately get login as: screen, but after I put my username root and enter the cursor moves downwards... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashkrishn
14 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

database takes long time to process

Hi, we currently having a issue where when we send jobs to the server for the application lawson, it is taking a very long time to complete. here are the last few lines of the database log. 2012-09-18-10.35.55.707279-240 E244403536A576 LEVEL: Warning PID : 950492 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techy1
1 Replies
GETLOGIN(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       GETLOGIN(2)

NAME
getlogin, setlogin -- get/set login name SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char * getlogin(void); int setlogin(const char *name); DESCRIPTION
The getlogin() routine returns the login name of the user associated with the current session, as previously set by setlogin(). The name is normally associated with a login shell at the time a session is created, and is inherited by all processes descended from the login shell. (This is true even if some of those processes assume another user ID, for example when su(1) is used.) setlogin() sets the login name of the user associated with the current session to name. This call is restricted to the super-user, and is normally used only when a new session is being created on behalf of the named user (for example, at login time, or when a remote shell is invoked). RETURN VALUES
If a call to getlogin() succeeds, it returns a pointer to a null-terminated string in a static buffer. If the name has not been set, it returns NULL. If a call to setlogin() succeeds, a value of 0 is returned. If setlogin() fails, a value of -1 is returned and an error code is placed in the global location errno. ERRORS
The following errors may be returned by these calls: [EFAULT] The name parameter gave an invalid address. [EINVAL] The name parameter pointed to a string that was too long. Login names are limited to MAXLOGNAME (from <sys/param.h>) characters, currently 12. [EPERM] The caller tried to set the login name and was not the super-user. SEE ALSO
setsid(2) BUGS
Login names are limited in length by setlogin(). However, lower limits are placed on login names elsewhere in the system (UT_NAMESIZE in <utmp.h>). In earlier versions of the system, getlogin() failed unless the process was associated with a login terminal. The current implementation (using setlogin()) allows getlogin to succeed even when the process has no controlling terminal. In earlier versions of the system, the value returned by getlogin() could not be trusted without checking the user ID. Portable programs should probably still make this check. HISTORY
The getlogin() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 9, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution