Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Truncate Log files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Truncate Log files Post 302141667 by fpmurphy on Sunday 21st of October 2007 07:05:37 PM
Old 10-21-2007
tail -b number_of_ blocks_to_save /var/adm/messages > /var/tmp/messages
mv /var/tmp/messages /var/adm/messages

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncate what is It?

what does this command do ? as in does this command just make sure everything in the file is executed? or does it flush the file? Actually this is used on a file in a progress database but I believe it is a unix command? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to truncate as filesize?

Hello everybody it's me again. I have a procces that is writing in a 'file1' automatically but i want to truncate 'file1' to a filesize 'x' that mean if the 'file1' size is 'x' i want to delete the first lines while the last lines are being writed, that have sence? in the process are an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lestat
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate File contain

I have one file which first line is blank and second line has some data. $cat filename output: 30-MAY-07 I want to store 30-MAY-07 value in one variable. for that I wrote var="`head -2 filename`" It will give that result but I want to truncate the first line which is blank. plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

*** Truncate certain field ***

I have a file in which I need to truncate 15th field to have only one character like Put --> P and if i have no value in 15th field, it should be "O" (Other) would really appreciate the reponses, thnx in advance:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sannmayaz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - truncate a log in place, sed -i not available captain!

Hi there:) Because of security requirements, It would be much better if I could truncate my logs in place using sed -i (or ?). I cant use the -i option on sed in my environment. Can anyone help a DBA? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quigley007
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i truncate filenmes?

I am using FC6 just in case it matters, though i hope it doesn't. If i have a file or some files that i want to truncate the filename of, so that it is only a certain number of characters in length, how would i do that on the command line? Also, just to make it more interesting, say i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate table

Hi In unix able to connect to oracle database and create table ,when rerun ,if table exist ,truncate that table.Any idea how to do that a.sh ---- sqlplus -s datadmin/password <<EOF create table xx(col1 number, col2... ); exit; EOF I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to truncate wtmp files

Hi, Does anyone have a script to truncate the wtmp file. I want to move older entries in the wtmp to a new file and move it out of var/adm and shrink the size. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files

Redirecting log files to null writing junk into log files. i have log files which created from below command exec <processname> >$logfile but when it reaches some size i am redirecting to null while process is running like >$logfile manually but after that it writes some junk into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
7 Replies
strclean(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       strclean(8)

NAME
strclean - Removes outdated STREAMS error log files SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/strclean [-d logdir] [-a age] FLAGS
Specifies a maximum age in days for the STREAMS error log files if this not the default age of 3. The value of age must be an integer greater than or less than 3. Specifies a directory for the location of the STREAMS error log files to be removed if this is not the default directory /var/adm/streams. DESCRIPTION
The strclean command cleans the STREAMS error logger directory of log files (error.mm-dd) that contain error messages sent by the STREAMS log driver (strlog). If no other directory is specified (the logdir argument), the command removes error log files in the /var/adm/streams directory. If no other age is specified (the age argument), the command removes error log files that have not been modified in 3 days. The strclean command is executed by the cron daemon on a periodic basis. EXAMPLES
To remove the day-old error log files from a directory called /tmp/streams, enter: strclean -d /tmp/streams -a 1 FILES
One or more error log file or files on which strclean operates. The mm.dd in the filename indicates the month and day of the messages con- tained in the file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: strerr(8), cron(8). Interfaces: strlog(7). delim off strclean(8)