Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: handling a coredump on HP?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers handling a coredump on HP? Post 302141436 by matrixmadhan on Friday 19th of October 2007 03:37:56 AM
Old 10-19-2007
Quote:
And. No way should an app 'be expected' to dump core in production.
Why is that so Jim ?

Did you mean an app running in production to be cent percent perfect all the time ? I accept that bugs that dump core in production are not a welcoming feature.

But I believe neither of the code that is written could be ever said 100% bug free, so core dumps in production are more like a way of life and they are bound to happen.

I didn't mean to say anything negatively and only point I would like to stress is " it happens " ( I know its a lame excuse and hate that myself very much )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

coredump

i create one executed file (based on c language). when 1 try to executed the file, the result show me the bus error (coredump). can you help me to solve this problem. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lala
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Set Up Coredump's

I am trying to set up coredumps on a server, I have enabled the coreadm, and have also set a path to whre the coredumps will go. I now need to set the ulimit , as this is set to 0. I made the change: ulimit -c 8192 but when I logged out and back in, it was set back to 0 again. I need to know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzyvn6
1 Replies

3. Programming

Strncpy - coredump

haiu all what makes strncpy to coredump (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
0 Replies

4. Solaris

metainit gives coredump

SunOS unknown 5.9 Generic_118558-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880 I'm trying to set up mirroring and am running into a problem: As you can see, I set up the metadb, but am getting a coredump when running metainit. I saw this through google, but don't know the validity of it. Any ideas? #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

coredump after every reboot

Every time I reboot our solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R) box, I get the messages below: # dmesg | grep dump Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname savecore: initial dump header corrupt Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname genunix: dump on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 size 700 MB Mar 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

how to read coredump on RHEL

Hi All, I just wondering how can we read core files (core.****). I have an appication, when it is trying to crash I got the coredump. since it is in binary format, I dont know how to read that. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_linux
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Need help on Bus error(coredump)

Hi all, I am quite weak in C but I need to get some work done. Hope someone can help me out. I keep getting this error when i try to run my C application in my HP-UX 10.20 machine. Some code snippet: Month(DBTime) =====This is a function which will return variable "CutOffTime" to be use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vision©
5 Replies

8. AIX

coredump: xsnaadmin

Hello! I do have an IBM pSeries 7043 server running AIX 5.2.0.0. Well, I do have trouble to run xsnaadmin tool remotely, I mean, the xsnaadmin tool can't run on exported X display. What I'm doing is aixserver>export DISPLAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0 aixserver>xsnaadmin Segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jssanche
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bc throwing coredump

Hi Gurus, I tried bc 1000 % 10 on tcsh and ksh and its throwing a core dump on a sun solaris machine. uname -a SunOS azote 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 Please let me know if you find anything. Thanks, Kinny (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
8 Replies

10. HP-UX

Coredump HP-UX 11.23 and 11.31

Hi, I'm looking for the help on how to implement coredump using the tools that comes with HP-UX 11.23 and HP-UX 11.31. To also avoid the the dump files fill-up the root disk when dump occurs. I'm new to this and would need step by step please. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
3 Replies
CRASHINFO(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      CRASHINFO(8)

NAME
crashinfo -- analyze a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
crashinfo [-d crashdir] [-n dumpnr] [-k kernel] [core] DESCRIPTION
The crashinfo utility analyzes a core dump saved by savecore(8). It generates a text file containing the analysis in the same directory as the core dump. For a given core dump file named vmcore.XX the generated text file will be named core.txt.XX. By default, crashinfo analyzes the most recent core dump in the core dump directory. A specific core dump may be specified via either the core or dumpnr arguments. Once crashinfo has located a core dump, it analyzes the core dump to determine the exact version of the kernel that generated the core. It then looks for a matching kernel file under each of the subdirectories in /boot. The location of the kernel file can also be explicitly provided via the kernel argument. Once crashinfo has located a core dump and kernel, it uses several utilities to analyze the core including dmesg(8), fstat(1), iostat(8), ipcs(1), kgdb(1), netstat(1), nfsstat(1), ps(1), pstat(8), and vmstat(8). The options are as follows: -d crashdir Specify an alternate core dump directory. The default crash dump directory is /var/crash. -n dumpnr Use the core dump saved in vmcore.dumpnr instead of the latest core in the core dump directory. -k kernel Specify an explicit kernel file. SEE ALSO
textdump(4), savecore(8) HISTORY
The crashinfo utility appeared in FreeBSD 6.4. BSD
June 28, 2008 BSD