Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Multi-Line Records Processing Post 302141272 by awk on Thursday 18th of October 2007 11:03:30 AM
Old 10-18-2007
Instead of a print, use a printf command. It allows you to specifiy a mask, then the data to print. for example

printf("%-30s", "MY NAME");

will right justify the value in the column. If you are a C programmer, it follows that printing convention. I suggest looking up the online (free and in pdf) version of "Effective awk programming" by Arnold Robbins for more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Numbering Problem

I have a set of files of multi-line records with the records separated by a blank line. I needed to add a record number to the front of each line followed by a colon and did the following: awk 'BEGIN {FS = "\n"; RS = ""}{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++)print NR,":",$i}' ~/Desktop/data98-1-25.txt >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Processing records as group - awk

I have a file has following records policy glb id 1233 name Permit ping from "One" to "Second" "Address1" "Any" "ICMP-ANY" permit policy id 999251 service "snmp-udp" exit policy glb id 1234 name Permit telnet from "One" to "Second" "Address2" "Any" "TCP-ANY" permit policy id 1234... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing multi-line records containing known value?

Some records in a file look like this, with any number of lines between start and end flags: /Start Some stuff Banana 1 Some more stuff End/ /Start Some stuff End/ /Start Some stuff Some more stuff Banana 2 End/ ...how would I process this file to find records containing the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alphabetical sort for multi line records contains in a single file

Hi all, I So, I've got a monster text document comprising a list of various company names and associated info just in a long list one after another. I need to sort them alphabetically by name... The text document looks like this: Company Name: the_first_company's_name_here Address:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quee1763
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multi-line records into a single row

Now that I've parsed out the data that I desire I'm left with variable length multi-line records that are field seperated by new lines (\n) and record seperated by a single empty line ("") At first I was considering doing something like this to append all of the record rows into a single row: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveyabe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] line by line processing the same file

Hey, not too good at this, so I only managed a clumsy and SLOW solution to my problem that needs a drastic speed up. Any ideas how I write the following in awk only? Code is supposed to do... For every line read column values $6, $7, $8 and do a calculation with the same column values of every... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Multi-line data to be stored in variable

Greetings Experts, As part of automating the sql generation, I have the source table name, target table name, join condition stored in a file join_conditions.txt which is a delimited file (I can edit the file if for any reason). The reason I needed to store is I have built SELECT list without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies
INTERFACE-ORDER(5)						    resolvconf							INTERFACE-ORDER(5)

NAME
interface-order - resolvconf configuration file DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/resolvconf/interface-order is used to control the order in which resolvconf nameserver information records are processed by those resolvconf update scripts that consult this file. (The name of the file is apt because a resolvconf nameserver information record is named after the interface with which it is associated.) The file contains a sequence of shell glob patterns, one per line. The position of a record in the order is the point at which its name first matches a pattern. Patterns may not contain whitespace, slashes or initial dots or tildes. Blank lines and lines beginning with a '#' are ignored. Resolvconf update scripts in /etc/resolvconf/update.d/ that consult this file include the current default versions of dnsmasq, pdnsd and libc. (Actually they don't read the file directly; they call the utility program /lib/resolvconf/list-records which lists records in the specified order and omits the names of empty records.) EXAMPLE
# /etc/resolvconf/interface-order # Use nameservers on the loopback interface first. lo* # Next use records for Ethernet interfaces eth* # Next use records for Wi-Fi interfaces wlan* # Next use records for PPP interfaces ppp* # Last use other interfaces * AUTHOR
Resolvconf was written by Thomas Hood <jdthood@gmail.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004, 2011 Thomas Hood This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
resolvconf(8) resolvconf 18 May 2011 INTERFACE-ORDER(5)