Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing asterix (*) from flat files Post 302141215 by ctrl_alt_del on Thursday 18th of October 2007 06:24:26 AM
Old 10-18-2007
Removing asterix (*) from flat files

Hi all,

I have to generate a tab-delimited flat file. Since few days, I have been getting * in random accounts.

For example, an account supposed to have the value 123456789123,123

Now this is supposed to be in a 12,3 format.

Please note that this being a German field, the comma (,) here means a decimal (.) point.

For past few days, I have been getting 123456789123,12*
This occurs ONLY in one field.

I need a script that will help me remove this asterix from the affected accounts, ONLY in that field. If there are asterix in other fields, I dont want to remove them.

Can anyone help me?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat Files

I have a flat file like this 0001 THER ULT HEAD & NECK VES 0002 THER ULTRASOUND OF HEART 0003 THER ULT PERIPHERAL VES 0009 OTHER THERAPEUTIC ULTSND 0010 IMPLANT CHEMOTHERA AGENT 0011 INFUS DROTRECOGIN ALFA 0012 ADM INHAL NITRIC OXIDE I need to conver this to a comma delimited flat file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Flat Files Please!! BASH (New User)

Hello All, I am brand new to the UNIX world and so far and very intrigued and enjoy scripting. This is just a new language for me. I would really like assistance with the below request. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to create a flat file in Vi that has a header field and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberjax21
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 flat files

Hi Gurus, I searched the forum but didnt get much info. I want to compare 2 files. 1)Newfile comes today with 2)Old file of previous day. The files are same ,just the new files might have new records sometimes. So I want to capture these new records in another file. Can anyone help... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailer from a flat file!!!

Hi, I get some flat files with trailer which gives the totol records count and i want to remove the trailer from the file. i used the following command it works fine with a single file. cat file_name | grep -v 'Total records:' > file1 mv file file_name But i dont know how to remove the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing commas within semicolon in a flat file

Hi , Im relatively new to unix and have to process a comma serparated flat file . I recieve some of the fields in double quotes and i want to remove it .. INPUT ==== filed1,field2,field3,"fie,ld4" OUTPUT ===== field1,field2,field3,"field4" can anyone tell me how to achieve... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing commas within semicolon in a flat file

i am recieving a flat file ( comma seperated ) with comma in between double quotes in any of the source fields . i need to remove the comma in double quotes and process the file thereafter fields in file ========= col1,col2,col3,col4 input can be any of the followng... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
31 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 flat files

Hi Frnds, I have a flat file with millions of records. . Now I on this. (I prefer for AWK as its gives good performance.) Old_file.txt ------------------ 1 gopi ase .... 2 arun pl ... 3 jack sutha .. 4 peter pm .. ... New_file.txt --------------- 4 peter pm .. .. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling asterix in AWK

I have a file like below. colA^col2^col3^col4^col5 aa^11^aaa^a1a^111^aa* bb*^22^bbb*^bb2^222^bb cc^33^ccc*^3cc^333^ccc dd^44^d*dd*^d4d^444^ddd ee^55^e*ee^e5e*^555^e*e NOTE: '^' is the field separator. I need to get the output as colA^col2^col3^col4^col5 aa^11^aaa^a1a^111^aa... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku11
5 Replies

9. Programming

Scripting using flat files

I need some help to create a script that can do the following: I have two flat files with one column that should link the two files' information into one record: 1st Flat File - 3 columns, multiple rows: orderid, Jobnumber, Ordernumber 2nd Flat File - 2 columns, multiple rows: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lavelle
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Multiline Files to Flat Files?

How to convert this: F1-R1 F1-R2 F1-R3 into a flat file for bash?? Each record F2-R1 F2-R2 F2-R3 F3-R1 F3-R2 F3-R3 F4-R1 F4-R2 F4-R3is on one line with all fields for that record, put into an output file. The output file should look like this when converted: F1-R1,F2-R1,F3-R1,F4-R1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bud1738
6 Replies
ISASET(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 ISASET(8)

NAME
isaset - set ISA registers SYNOPSIS
isaset [-y] addrreg datareg address value [mask] #for I2C-like access isaset [-y] -f address value [mask] #for flat address space DESCRIPTION
isaset is a small helper program to set registers visible through the ISA bus. OPTIONS
-f Enable flat address space mode. -y Disable interactive mode. By default, isaset will wait for a confirmation from the user before messing with the ISA bus. When this flag is used, it will perform the operation directly. This is mainly meant to be used in scripts. OPTIONS (I2C-like access mode) Four options must be provided to isaset. addrreg contains the ISA address of the address register for the chip to probe; datareg contains the address of the data register. Both addresses are integers between 0x0000 and 0x3FFF. Usually, if the chip's base address is 0x0nn0, the address register is at 0x0nn5 and the data register is at 0x0nn6. The most common base address for hardware monitoring chips is 0x0290. For Super-I/O chips, address register is typically at 0x2E with data register at 0x2F. The address and value parameters are two integers between 0x00 and 0xFF. isaset will write value value to address address. An optional mask can be provided as a fifth parameter, preserving unmasked bits at the written location. OPTIONS (flat address space mode) In flat mode, two parameters must be provided. address contains the ISA address of the register to write to; it is an integer between 0x0000 and 0xFFFF. Basically, it is the sum of the chip's base address and the chip register's address. isaset will write value value at this address. An optional mask can be provided as a third parameter, preserving unmasked bits at the written location. WARNING
Poking around in ISA data space is extremely dangerous. Running isaset with random parameters can cause system crashes, data loss, and worse! Be extremely careful when using this program. SEE ALSO
i2cset(8), isadump(8) AUTHOR
Mark D. Studebaker, and the lm_sensors group (http://www.lm-sensors.org/) This manual page was shamelessly ripped from the i2cset and isadump manual pages by Jean Delvare. May 2005 ISASET(8)