Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: maximum number of arguments
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers maximum number of arguments Post 302141089 by drl on Wednesday 17th of October 2007 04:15:08 PM
Old 10-17-2007
Hi.

At a quick skim, the article at The maximum length of arguments for a new process looked like it covered most of the bases ... cheers, drl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maximum number of threads per user

Anybody knows how to setup Maximum number of threads per user or some other value on Sun Solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum number of users allowed

How do i determen (what command) the max. number of users allowed Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: siza
10 Replies

3. Programming

maximum number of dots in a domain name

maximum number of dots in a domain name - not a sub-domain name. for example: mydomain.com ------ one dot mydomain.com.au ------ two dots do you know maximum number of dots in a domain name and could you provide a sample? thx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hello20009876
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Maximum Number of threads suuported????

Hi, Anybody knows the maximum number of threads suuported by a process in solaris os. Please reply Thanks in advance :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Agnello
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - maximum number of files

what is the maximum number ls can list down (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karnan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number of characters in a line.

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the maximum number of characters that will fit into a single line of a flat file on a unix. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command line arguments

Hi, Can anyone please help me to know what is the maximum number of command line arguments that we can pass in unix shell script? Thanks in advance, Punitha.S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum number from input by user

I am trying to calculate the maximum number from four numbers input by the user. I have the following code, but it does not work. It says there's an error with the last line "done". Any help would be appreciated. max=0 echo "Please enter four numbers: " for i in 1 2 3 4 do read number... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum number of sed squeezing

Hi all, What is the maximum number of sed squeezing in one shell?? I've surprised with this message when I squeezed 50 sed in the same shell: 253: Identifier too long - maximum length is 18.This is what I've did in my sed query | sed -e "s/ 0 /Default /" | sed -e "s/ 1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
2 Replies
APPLY(1)						      General Commands Manual							  APPLY(1)

NAME
apply - apply a command to a set of arguments SYNOPSIS
apply [ -ac ] [ -n ] command args ... DESCRIPTION
Apply runs the named command on each argument arg in turn. Normally arguments are chosen singly; the optional number n specifies the num- ber of arguments to be passed to command. If n is zero, command is run without arguments once for each arg. Character sequences of the form %d in command, where d is a digit from 1 to 9, are replaced by the d'th following unused arg. If any such sequences occur, n is ignored, and the number of arguments passed to command is the maximum value of d in command. The character `%' may be changed by the -a option. Examples: apply echo * is similar to ls(1); apply -2 cmp a1 b1 a2 b2 ... compares the `a' files to the `b' files; apply -0 who 1 2 3 4 5 runs who(1) 5 times; and apply 'ln %1 /usr/joe' * links all files in the current directory to the directory /usr/joe. SEE ALSO
sh(1) AUTHOR
Rob Pike BUGS
Shell metacharacters in command may have bizarre effects; it is best to enclose complicated commands in single quotes ' '. There is no way to pass a literal `%2' if `%' is the argument expansion character. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 APPLY(1)