Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Retrieving PID from a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Retrieving PID from a file Post 302141004 by appleforme1415 on Wednesday 17th of October 2007 06:42:06 AM
Old 10-17-2007
Retrieving PID from a file

Hello

I need to retrieve the content of a file in the shell script file(.sh file).
I store the Process ID of the a process in file.Only the PID is available in that file.

Inside the shell script i want to retireve the content(PID) and need to check for the existence of the Process.Basically i use this mechanism to make sure a process is not started more than once in a machine.

Kindly let me know how to retrieve the content of a file inside shell script and assign that content to a variable.

Last edited by appleforme1415; 10-17-2007 at 09:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

retrieving a deleted file

hi!, is there any way to retrieve a file that I have deleted few minutes back?? I am using Solaris- 5.6.. :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Rlogin and File Retrieving

Hi, I'm a begginer in Unix Scripting and i'm trying to write a script that performs this functions.. 1. Rlogin to a system 2. Copy a Perl script inTO the system 3. Run the Perl Script 4. Retrieve the result(file) of the Perl Script 5. Copy the result file to a single system 6. Logout of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vicesjr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retrieving command line arguments of a particular PID

hi The "ps" command shows the command line arguments of running processes: $ /bin/ps -o pid,args -e .... 26031 pico /tmp/crontab2KaG1Y 596 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m 9955 xterm -n 1 -sb -sl 800 -g 80+70+70 2627 /usr/sbin/snmpd -Lsd -Lf /dev/null -p /var/run/snmpd -a 1691 .... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving random numbers out of a text file

Hi one and all, I'm working on a Bash script that is designed to calculate how much IP traffic has passed through a port to determine traffic volume over a given amount of time. I've currently been able to use the netstat -s command coupled with grep to write to a file the total packets... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving File's Mime-type

Alright, so I am trying to use perl (or any other shell scripting language, awk/sed/bash for instance), to retrieve the mime-type of a file. I want to keep it in one file, and most of the modules that are on cpan that check for mime types (Magic), aren't installed on these boxes. Anyone have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving particular row from a dat file

Hi.. I have a dat file containing both column names and data. Now I want to get only Particular row along with the column names. My dat fiel is as below EmpName Dept Salary Shally Admin 20000 Swati HR 15000 Deepali IT 45000 Preetika EEE 60000 Now I want to display only row 3rd along... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayuri P R
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retrieving accurate file timestamp

Hi Gurus, The requirement is to collect the timestamp of soft links and collect it in a file in the following pattern: This is the expected output: Pattern: MM/DD/YYYY hh:mi:ss filename Example: 12/26/2008 10:31:09 <Filename>.zip The closest way I could get was this: ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving Information From A Syslog File

Hi, I have a number of firewalls that send there traffic logs to a syslog server. Each log entry takes up about 3 lines and the text within the log entry is delimited by a space. There are parts of the three lines that I need from every traffic log entry. I have been using a combination of sed,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving File name

Hi All.. I have a Filename as FAB1_600015_CONRAD.A0_7XYZ12345.000_LT-SWET.01_LTPA25L_20110622-161429_07_WFR12345_20110622-161429_20110712-125228.data.dis I want to get the result as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asheshrocky
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving sequence data from other file

Hello experts :cool:, I am new to programming and will need your help.. I have 2 very large files with the following format: FILE1: >MLP1019 PL4 >MLP7456 PL3 >MLP9268 PL9 >MLP6245 PL1 FILE2: >MLP1019 STNAPLQTSNTWVSYQPSMMMSLQ >MLP7456 PPYWYWNSAVMIFYVQPLSLLAVLLA >MLP9268... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narachaid
2 Replies
git-annex-shell(1)					      General Commands Manual						git-annex-shell(1)

NAME
git-annex-shell - Restricted login shell for git-annex only SSH access SYNOPSIS
git-annex-shell [-c] command [params ...] DESCRIPTION
git-annex-shell is a restricted shell, similar to git-shell, which can be used as a login shell for SSH accounts. Since its syntax is identical to git-shell's, it can be used as a drop-in replacement anywhere git-shell is used. For example it can be used as a user's restricted login shell. COMMANDS
Any command not listed below is passed through to git-shell. Note that the directory parameter should be an absolute path, otherwise it is assumed to be relative to the user's home directory. Also the first "/~/" or "/~user/" is expanded to the specified home directory. configlist directory This outputs a subset of the git configuration, in the same form as git config --list inannex directory [key ...] This checks if all specified keys are present in the annex, and exits zero if so. dropkey directory [key ...] This drops the annexed data for the specified keys. recvkey directory key This runs rsync in server mode to receive the content of a key, and stores the content in the annex. sendkey directory key This runs rsync in server mode to transfer out the content of a key. commit directory This commits any staged changes to the git-annex branch. It also runs the annex-content hook. OPTIONS
Most options are the same as in git-annex. The ones specific to git-annex-shell are: --uuid=UUID git-annex uses this to specify the UUID of the repository it was expecting git-annex-shell to access, as a sanity check. HOOK
After content is received or dropped from the repository by git-annex-shell, it runs a hook, .git/hooks/annex-content (or hooks/annex-con- tent on a bare repository). The hook is not currently passed any information about what changed. ENVIRONMENT
GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_READONLY If set, disallows any command that could modify the repository. GIT_ANNEX_SHELL_LIMITED If set, disallows running git-shell to handle unknown commands. SEE ALSO
git-annex(1) git-shell(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> <http://git-annex.branchable.com/> git-annex-shell(1)