Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Minutes a program runs.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Minutes a program runs. Post 302140687 by drl on Monday 15th of October 2007 11:54:31 AM
Old 10-15-2007
Hi.

Glad it seems to be solved. It was really the man page that helped, as they do for so many problems. One slight drawback is that some man pages are very long, and some are poorly written, so it can be a chore to look through them. I think the Solaris man pages usually are the best, although the commands in Solaris, while very stable, are not as flexible as those of most Linux distributions.

Luckily, the shell hides a lot of the differences of OS platforms. However, it's good that you mentioned the Korn shell, and it probably wouldn't hurt to mention AIX, just in case that makes a difference -- I don't use AIX any longer, but I suspect many others here do ... cheers, drl

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert minutes to hours, minutes, seconds

How would you convert lets say a 1000 minutes to hours, minutes, seconds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vozx
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

why does my program runs in conflicting mode?

my pragram runs with 3 threads, 2 work threads, one main thread. the 2 work threads run with the same mode and the same code. but now, one of the work thread can't work, and it uses the cpu more than 80%, sometimes uses 100% cpu resource. the another work thread work well. when I viewed the HP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: happylife365
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a program runs on unix

Hi guys, I had a question last week where I asked how I check from a website hosted on windows if a process is running on on of our unix servers. Vino and Shell Life kindly replied with a perl script: if qm') -gt 0 ] ; then echo "Site is up" else echo "Site is down." # start the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drchris
1 Replies

4. Programming

getting Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error but Program runs fine.

i am executing following program int main() { char str; FILE * fp; int i=0; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavesh.sapra
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab runs only one line in iterated program

I have a crontab as below: PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/bin/:..... etc etc 0 8 * * * /home/user/jobs/poll.sh 2>/dev/null 1>/dev/null Now the script poll.sh is called at correct time and executes. This is how poll.sh looks like #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

create a program that runs two processes linked oven

I need help program in C... :create a program that runs two processes linked oven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gizmo16
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert days hours minutes seconds to minutes?

Hi, please help with below time conversion to minutes. one column values: 2 minutes 16 seconds 420 msec 43 seconds 750 msec 0 days 3 hours 29 minutes 58 seconds 480 msec 11 seconds 150 msec I need output in minutes(total elapsed time in minutes) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu.badugula
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file for the last 5 minutes of contents every 5 minutes

Hi all, System Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS i have the following log INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,099 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/8550614e-3e94-4fa5-9ab2-135eefa69c1b HTTP/1.0" 500 2042 INFO 2019-02-07 15:13:31,569 module.py:700] default: "POST /join/6cb9c452-dcb1-45f3-bcca-e33f5d450105... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Where can I find the program that runs the -wc command?

Hey guys, I was wondering. When I enter a command in the terminal -wcl for a word count, where is that program located in the kernel? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
7 Replies
GSIGNAL(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GSIGNAL(3)

NAME
gsignal, ssignal - software signal facility SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> typedef void (*sighandler_t)(int); int gsignal(intsignum); sighandler_t ssignal(int signum, sighandler_t action); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): gsignal(), ssignal(): _SVID_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
Don't use these functions under Linux. Due to a historical mistake, under Linux these functions are aliases for raise(3) and signal(2), respectively. Elsewhere, on System V-like systems, these functions implement software signaling, entirely independent of the classical signal(2) and kill(2) functions. The function ssignal() defines the action to take when the software signal with number signum is raised using the func- tion gsignal(), and returns the previous such action or SIG_DFL. The function gsignal() does the following: if no action (or the action SIG_DFL) was specified for signum, then it does nothing and returns 0. If the action SIG_IGN was specified for signum, then it does noth- ing and returns 1. Otherwise, it resets the action to SIG_DFL and calls the action function with argument signum, and returns the value returned by that function. The range of possible values signum varies (often 1-15 or 1-17). CONFORMING TO
These functions are available under AIX, DG/UX, HP-UX, SCO, Solaris, Tru64. They are called obsolete under most of these systems, and are broken under Linux libc and glibc. Some systems also have gsignal_r() and ssignal_r(). SEE ALSO
kill(2), signal(2), raise(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-07-26 GSIGNAL(3)