Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to display hostname in command prompt Post 302140367 by civic2005 on Friday 12th of October 2007 04:50:21 AM
Old 10-12-2007
How to display hostname in command prompt

Anyone know

How to configure solaris 8 to display hostname in command prompt , everytime when you open a terminal screen .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

no boot prompt display

just put blank harddisk in my ultra10. i see no display to show me the boot> prompt. i don't know what happened....?? Got a third party graphic card. Display was ok. Monitor seems to be ok. i used different one with same result. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

2. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 install doesn't display Network Connectivity prompt page

I have two Dell x86 machines on which I am attempting to install Solaris 10 from CD. I am not doing a Jumpstart install. This is my first experience in installing Solaris (or any other OS). I am following the instructions at How to Quickly Install the Solaris 10 1/06 OS The first machine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarahsi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change unix cmd display prompt?

I am new to to unix and I want to make my own basic shell. What is the code I can use to change the unix cmd console display? For example my unix display prompt says MyCompterName~, I want it to say WhatEverMan~ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: megaearth77
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Hostname command issue

Hi All, I am using redhat Linux 5.2.2 on vmware. I have created VM Machine using kickstart & rest 10 machines i created using vmware cloning. On the base machine which i installed from kickstart its showing FQDN using hostname --fqdn but cloned machines are showing hosts name i have chnaged... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

hostname in command prompt

Hello, all. Running 11.04. Is there a way that, in an ssh or telnet session, that hostname will not appear in the command prompt? Not logged in yet, so not seeking a user shell environment. I just want to see something like 'login>', not 'ubuntu login>'. ---------- Post updated at 07:50 PM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfearer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display current time in the prompt

Hello All, I would like to display the current time in prompt. I tried using following command: export PS1="$(date +%k:%M:%S) $ " but it gave me a fixed time in prompt whereas my objective is to get the current time everytime. $ export PS1="$(date +%k:%M:%S) $ " 17:42:42 $ 17:42:42 $... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
32 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompt path display issue

I use the following command to print the current directory above the command prompt set prompt="`exec pwd`\n$USER@`hostname -s` %B: % > " The output is something like this <current path> $USER@hostname > But when I try to CD to any other directory and press the return key, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function to suppress warning message for specific text and display prompt

In the below bash function multiple variants are input and stored in a variable $variant, and each is written to an out file at c:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out.txt stored on a separate line. # enter variant phox2b() { printf "\n\n" printf "What is the id of the patient getting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to display HOSTNAME in sendmail?

I have two issues with my script one of which i would like to discuss here. Its my compulsion to use sendmail. My sample script #!/bin/bash { print 'From: Prod@`hostname`.mycomp.com' print 'To: me@mycomp.com' print 'MIME-Version: 1.0' print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)