Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference between * and @ in case of parameters Post 302140344 by pankajd on Friday 12th of October 2007 02:09:41 AM
Old 10-12-2007
Difference between * and @ in case of parameters

hi,
i want to know diff. between @ and * in case of command line arguments or parameters i.e.$* and $@ explain with example and reply

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Compare 2 Arrays find difference & case insensitive

Hi, I need an elegant solotion in php. I need to compare 2 arrays (array1 & array2), to find all instances of array 2 which is not in array1. I don't want to see any instances of array1 wich is not in array2 (here "the") Array1: This, is, the, data, of, array1 Array2: this, is, data, Of,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to take parameters as non case sensitive

Is there a way for me to take a parameter then store it in a variable and use its value as non case sensitive? Ex. Lets say i have a parameter which contains "Hey". Then im gonna store it to GR using GR=$1. CL=/install/$GR.g How can i make GR non case sensitive so that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
vdiff(1)							    ShapeTools								  vdiff(1)

NAME
vdiff - display line-by-line differences between versions of files SYNOPSIS
vdiff [ diff-options ] [ -base path ] [ -P ] files .. DESCRIPTION
vdiff is a differential comparator for file versions that are stored in shapeTools' object base, AtFS. The functionality of vdiff is very similar to the diff command on your host. All options and switches that are recognized by diff can also be specified for vdiff. The arguments to vdiff can either be a single filename, or a pair of version identifiers. If only a filename is specified, vdiff prints the differences between the specified file and the most recent version of this file that is stored in the AtFS object base. A file can be com- pared to any stored version by specifying the version as first, and the filename as second argument. If both arguments are version identi- fiers, the difference between these two versions is printed. Differences between files and versions can be printed in any style that is supported by the local diff program. Version identifiers consist of the filename, and a version number or alias name for a version, enclosed in brackets. Example: retrieve.c[4.22] or retrieve.c[Rel-4.1] vdiff creates temporary copies of the versions that shall be compared, invokes the diff command, and finally removes the temporary copies. OPTIONS
-base path If vdiff is told to produce a context diff, the filenames of the compared objects are mangeled so that the specified path replaces the path of the current directory in the full pathnames appearing in the diff-header. This is useful to replace an absolute pathname by a relative pathname and makes the produced context-diff easier to digest for the patch program. -P With the -P switch turned on, vdiff won't give up if one of the two objects that shall be compared does not exist. In this case an empty object is substituted for the missing one, causing the diff to be the complete contents of the existing object. This is useful in situations when complex patches are produced that upgrade one release of a software system to a new release, and the system has structurally changed (i.e. new files have been added to the system). SEE ALSO
diff(1), vcat(1) AUTHOR
Axel.Mahler@cs.tu-berlin.de vc_scripts-2.5 Tue Jun 29 16:42:06 1993 vdiff(1)