Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirecting to Error File
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Redirecting to Error File Post 302140338 by tomas on Friday 12th of October 2007 01:07:43 AM
Old 10-12-2007
quick google
  • The following command saves stdout and stderr to the files "out.txt" and "err.txt", respectively.

[root@server /root]# ./cmd 1>out.txt 2>err.txt
http://www.cpqlinux.com/redirect.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting a file

Hi, I have a normal txt file which contains say 5 lines. in that i need to change few of the the parameters dynamically. for eg.. line 1..contains account line 2 contains date line 3 contains user .. .. .. i will be taking the input using read command and store it in variables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting std error

Hi, I use the following command make all > output-`date +%F-%H-%M-%S`.txt 2>&1 to invoke a MAKE process that takes some weeks to complete. The ouput is redirected to a text file. Now I prefix the above command with time to get time needed for completion of the MAKE process time make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkamendje
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file?

I'm not a complete novice at unix but I'm not all that advanced either. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than myself has the answer I'm looking for. I'm writing a wrapper script that will be passed user commands from the cron... Ex: ./mywrapper.sh "/usr/bin/ps -ef |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumgi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard error issues.

Hello Friends, Good Day. I am trying to redirect a standard error to the bit bucket(/dev/null) but it is not working. Though, it is working fine in redirecting the standard output. Below is the output of my script without any redirection: $ ./CheckVSSLocks.sh... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh.chandan18
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Redirecting a command's default error message in script

Hi, I just need a small help. I have this simple script to check a huge list of IDs if they exist or not on a server. Before running I have tested it with only 5-6 IDs. Script works fine. But what I need it should not display the message of command's error message. That means if suppose an ID... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading UNIX commands from file and redirecting output to a file

Hi All I have written the following script: #!/bin/ksh while read cmdline do echo `$cmdline` pid="$cmdline" done<commands.txt =========== commands.txt contains: ps -ef | grep abc | grep xyz |awk '{print $2}; My objective is to store the o/p of the command in a variable and do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulparo
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file

i have applied the following command on a file named unix.txt that contains the string "linux from the text" grep -n -i -w "linux from the text" unix.txt and the result is 5:Today's Linux from the text systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print Error While Redirecting output in multiple Files

Hi, I have a following code in which I am unable to redirect to multiple files. Can anybody please help with some corrections awk -F, '{ if ( substr($1,26,2)=="02" && substr($1,184,14)=="MTSCC_VALFIRST") { array1++ array2++ array3++ } else if (substr($1,26,2)=="03" &&... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)