Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirecting to Error File
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Redirecting to Error File Post 302140336 by lorcan on Friday 12th of October 2007 12:14:09 AM
Old 10-12-2007
Redirecting to Error File

Hi-

I want to redirect the output of the echo to the standard error file. We require this because, when we try to scp a file from a source server to a target server we get an error code 1. Later we found that it was due to the .cshrc file which outputs on stdout which is making the scp to fail.

I know that if we could comment out the echo statements it wouldn't fail. But i thought if we could do something like, redirecting the stdout to stderr then it shouldn't be a problem.

So is there a way of doing this 'redirecting the stdout to stderr' by default and if we could please let me know.

-Lorcan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting a file

Hi, I have a normal txt file which contains say 5 lines. in that i need to change few of the the parameters dynamically. for eg.. line 1..contains account line 2 contains date line 3 contains user .. .. .. i will be taking the input using read command and store it in variables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting std error

Hi, I use the following command make all > output-`date +%F-%H-%M-%S`.txt 2>&1 to invoke a MAKE process that takes some weeks to complete. The ouput is redirected to a text file. Now I prefix the above command with time to get time needed for completion of the MAKE process time make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkamendje
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to tee stderr from a command that's redirecting error to a file?

I'm not a complete novice at unix but I'm not all that advanced either. I'm hoping that someone with a little more knowledge than myself has the answer I'm looking for. I'm writing a wrapper script that will be passed user commands from the cron... Ex: ./mywrapper.sh "/usr/bin/ps -ef |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumgi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard error issues.

Hello Friends, Good Day. I am trying to redirect a standard error to the bit bucket(/dev/null) but it is not working. Though, it is working fine in redirecting the standard output. Below is the output of my script without any redirection: $ ./CheckVSSLocks.sh... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh.chandan18
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Redirecting a command's default error message in script

Hi, I just need a small help. I have this simple script to check a huge list of IDs if they exist or not on a server. Before running I have tested it with only 5-6 IDs. Script works fine. But what I need it should not display the message of command's error message. That means if suppose an ID... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj100
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading UNIX commands from file and redirecting output to a file

Hi All I have written the following script: #!/bin/ksh while read cmdline do echo `$cmdline` pid="$cmdline" done<commands.txt =========== commands.txt contains: ps -ef | grep abc | grep xyz |awk '{print $2}; My objective is to store the o/p of the command in a variable and do... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulparo
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file

i have applied the following command on a file named unix.txt that contains the string "linux from the text" grep -n -i -w "linux from the text" unix.txt and the result is 5:Today's Linux from the text systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print Error While Redirecting output in multiple Files

Hi, I have a following code in which I am unable to redirect to multiple files. Can anybody please help with some corrections awk -F, '{ if ( substr($1,26,2)=="02" && substr($1,184,14)=="MTSCC_VALFIRST") { array1++ array2++ array3++ } else if (substr($1,26,2)=="03" &&... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies
asadmin-enable(1AS)						   User Commands					       asadmin-enable(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-enable, enable - enables the component SYNOPSIS
enable --user admin_user [--password admin_password][--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s]--passwordfile filename [--terse=false][--echo=false] [--interactive] component_name enable command enables the specified component. If the component is already enabled, then it is re-enabled. The component must have been deployed in order to be enabled. If it has not been deployed, then an error message is returned. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. --interactive prompts you for the required options that are not already specified. OPERANDS
component_name name of the component to be enabled. Example 1: Using enable asadmin> enable sampleApp Command enable executed successfully EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-deploy(1AS), asadmin-deploydir(1AS), asadmin-undeploy(1AS), asadmin-disable(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-enable(1AS)