Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers choosing secure and stable OS Post 302140328 by rivo on Thursday 11th of October 2007 11:03:00 PM
Old 10-12-2007
choosing secure and stable OS

I would like to choose an OS which is both very secure and very stable.

Which one of these 2 would be the best option: FreeBSD or Solaris 10 ?

I plan to use this OS as a very basic desktop pc using: a word processing program, emule/amule/p2p and an email client such as evolution.

Last edited by rivo; 10-12-2007 at 12:08 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Choosing Java or C++

Listen, if you know a bit of programming in C and need to program unix-type operating systems the next transitive stage is for sure C++. However, have in mind that Java is like learning C but 99% object-oriented(o.o.) and with no pointers or memory-management tricks. It would be good for you to see... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Choosing a version

I know that the rules say no school questions but I am in advanced topics and am going to go to college for programming and I want to find a easy first OS to start me out, please help, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KoKo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help choosing a linux.

There are soo many flavors of linux and i just cant choose/find the right linux for me... I am hopeing for a linux that is a Workhorse Can fit of a seires (or 1) disk(s) Lots of features (admin/mod features) A learning mode or a detailed tutorial Can work side by side with windows... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lithuaniaakid
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Secure FTP Problem using Sun SSH on Client system F-Secure on Server system

I am using shell script to do secure ftp. I have done key file setup to do password less authentication. Following are the FTP Details: FTP Client has Sun SSH. FTP Server has F-Secure. I am using SCP Command to do secure copy files. When I am doing this, I am getting the foll error scp:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftpguy
2 Replies

5. Linux

Choosing the best distro.

Hi all Help me find the best distro for the following configurations: Intel pentium IV 1.6 Ghz 128 MB RAM :( 40 GB Hardisk with one very big partition more than 35 gb n another 2 gb partition. windows xp is already installed but has enough free space (26gb). Which linux will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

6. Slackware

Help for choosing Slackware

Dear Friends, If I use Slackware for learning whether it will make any confusion in administering/using Redhat and SuSE since I have checked slackware is more like BSD. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
4 Replies

7. Linux

Choosing a UNIX

i have a project in numerical calculus in c language what unix i get better for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
7 Replies

8. Linux

Help choosing distro

Hi, I just ordered an Skylake NUC and will run Linux on it. My distro of choice has been Ubuntu but I am fed up with the release cycle and would like more of a rolling release. I would say I am an intermediate level Linux user. It's going to be a HTPC, I want to have the latest kernels... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthorntn
0 Replies
GIT-PATCH-ID(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-PATCH-ID(1)

NAME
git-patch-id - Compute unique ID for a patch SYNOPSIS
git patch-id [--stable | --unstable] DESCRIPTION
Read a patch from the standard input and compute the patch ID for it. A "patch ID" is nothing but a sum of SHA-1 of the file diffs associated with a patch, with whitespace and line numbers ignored. As such, it's "reasonably stable", but at the same time also reasonably unique, i.e., two patches that have the same "patch ID" are almost guaranteed to be the same thing. IOW, you can use this thing to look for likely duplicate commits. When dealing with git diff-tree output, it takes advantage of the fact that the patch is prefixed with the object name of the commit, and outputs two 40-byte hexadecimal strings. The first string is the patch ID, and the second string is the commit ID. This can be used to make a mapping from patch ID to commit ID. OPTIONS
--stable Use a "stable" sum of hashes as the patch ID. With this option: o Reordering file diffs that make up a patch does not affect the ID. In particular, two patches produced by comparing the same two trees with two different settings for "-O<orderfile>" result in the same patch ID signature, thereby allowing the computed result to be used as a key to index some meta-information about the change between the two trees; o Result is different from the value produced by git 1.9 and older or produced when an "unstable" hash (see --unstable below) is configured - even when used on a diff output taken without any use of "-O<orderfile>", thereby making existing databases storing such "unstable" or historical patch-ids unusable. This is the default if patchid.stable is set to true. --unstable Use an "unstable" hash as the patch ID. With this option, the result produced is compatible with the patch-id value produced by git 1.9 and older. Users with pre-existing databases storing patch-ids produced by git 1.9 and older (who do not deal with reordered patches) may want to use this option. This is the default. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-PATCH-ID(1)