Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Is Unix/Solaris 10 ready for professional Desktop need? Post 302140318 by porter on Thursday 11th of October 2007 08:43:28 PM
Old 10-11-2007
You could say Solaris has been around the block a while.

Not sure where "gaming" fits into "professional desktop".

If you want wide ranging device support, eg USB cameras etc, then I would say go for some Linux distribution.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 6 Desktop Troubleshooting

Good Morning People, I wanted to help on users we have that apparently on their desktop their word wrap is automatic. I have looked on their openwin-menu and haven't found anything with word wrap. Would anybody know where to look to change a user's word wrap capability? Let me know, any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarccastik Dude
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10 Desktop resolution

I have a problem with solaris 10 desktop resolution. My resolution is 1680x1050. I want to boot in troubleshooting mode to change this resolution for the root user. Or all users. What is the configuration script. ex: .dtconfig/Xconfig (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Antivirus Programm for Solaris Desktop

Hello, I´m searching a antivirus solution for Solaris Desktop PC´s (Intel). Can anyone tell me more about some producer?? Thanks Volker (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingossi
6 Replies

4. Solaris

How to install Solaris-desktop?

Hello, I am trying to install solaris desktop in solaris pkg install Solaris-desktop it say insufficient access to complete the required operation privileged user what does this mean? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riteshkakkar
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Configuring Solaris 10 SPARC for internet ready connection

I have a Oracle SPARC server with Solaris SPARC 10 OS installed I have a domestic router/modem box from my ISP in my house. I have a wifi extender in my room which has a RJ45 female socket for ethernet connection. The Wifi extender is configured properly to act as a bridge for machines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphatron150
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Motif GUI example. UNIX executable ready.

Motif GUI example. Unix executable ready. Hi , i have attached my executable GUI example file in form of a .gz file. please gunzip file before. May i ask you for check it out that it is running on your machine ? You should have "Motif" package installed. when you klick the unix executable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sennenmut
4 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)